Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Why don't students attend live chats nor watch them?

Why don't students attend live chats and why do so few of them watch the recorded chats. I cover all topics for the learning module and give a plethera of websites so they may use them for continued learning.

Best Regards,

Penelope A. Kerr

I have that same question. All of my courses are instructed online (so I have no face-to-face contact with any of my students). When I first started in this position, I had a weekly scheduled "class" which took the form of a live chat room. I informed all students, and reminder emails were automatically sent out about the time of this "class". Since the majority of my students work, I didn't place this as being mandatory, but after having about 10 of these sessions to which no one ever checked it out, I stopped having these. I was unable to do a variety of tasks required for my job while monitoring this chat, and I felt that if no one came to this I amy as well cancel them. 

I still get numerous phone calls from students when they have questions, but that is a one-on-one scenario. 

I believe (and could be totally wrong) that a lot of students who take online learning had some issues in the school system (they were shy and didn't speak up; they felt like they couldn't keep up with the class, etc.) and they were attracted to the online learning because they wouldn't have to worry about those feelings. 

The course I teach allows for mature students, and one of those students was nervous through the first bit and never wanted to call me. After she completed her first assignment for me, I posted her mark (which was 100%) and called her to personally congratulate her. That was when she opened up about how hard school was for her and that she would never ask questions. Now she will take the bull by the horns and if something doesn't make sense she contacts me right away. She is still the type of student that I could never ask to take part in a group chat setting.

As for recorded chats, I can say that from my experience the only video resources my students view are any that I have created as a supplemental to the learning. If I tell them that this a recorded chat with other students incvolved, it usually doesn't get viewed. I think this goes back to bad classroom experiences.

Thank you for starting this topic, Penelope! I look forward to hearing other points of view!!

I have been teaching online for over 10 years and have had dismal results with live chats. There are a few factors that impact participation. Out of site ,out of mind. Our students lives are very busy. We ask them to read lectures, do research and engage in the homework...and on top of that, attend the live chat at a set time and place. That is the rub. If they can't attend the chat in real time, why watch it some other time? There is no peer or instructor saying they HAVE to do it in the room. There is no real time accountablity or encouragement. That comes via emails and phone calls. So the fact they are already busy and can't attend in real time makes it hard to watch it afterwards. Out of sight, out of mind.

Live chats supplment. They are not crucial. The fact of the matter is the live chats supplment the course. They are not crucial to success. You can muddle through the class without them. Busy lives, many distractions, the thing that can be skipped with the least amout of pain, will be. Time and time again I hear that from my students. I didn't watch it because I had to do this instead. They are not docked points. There is not grade or real incentive for watching that chat. So they are skipped.

That said I always try to bring in real critiques into my chat. Comments on the work that helps them to see their peers solutions and then the suggestions on how to make things better. I encourage. I am honest. I share inspiration. That keeps the chats at a high energy pace. I hate teaching software on a chat. That is not what they need from me. They need my real world expertise and my encouragement for them to get there. This has been successful for me. Those that do attend , we have a great time. :) I hope this was helpful.

I thought of that as being the case for my chats as well, only I never thought to respond the way you have! I really like that side of things. I will have to re-think my ideas for a live caht again.

Thank you Nathan!

Live Chats are mandatory for the instructor at an institution for which I teach. I have to hold at least one 1-hour live chat per week. I have used music, interactive quizzes and activities, lecture...I have even offered "bonus" material in my live chats to attempt to lure students in. I rarely have a student attend a live chat, regardless of when it is scheduled.

I don't mind conducting the live chat and recording it, but it seems that if instructors are required to hold them, there should be some accountability on the part of students as well. They should have to attend, or at least attend one or two during the course of the semester. 

@023kerpen Same here. The students who do not do well on the written assignments are also the ones who do not listen to the online lectures at all. While we have no direct tracking system, it is easy to tell from the written assignments who listened and who did not.

This is ongoing cry of the online instructor.  Why don't student attend the live chats? For me it is not as important as at least getting them to watch the arvhied recording.  The way in which I try to motivate them into the live chat room or at least watch the archived recording is to mention this in their feedback in the gradebook as well as email and also announcements.  While it is exciting for me when 3 or 4 students attend a live chat, it is as gratifying to discover that a student has actually watched the recording and has learned something from it. 

I find that trying to relate the material that is covered in the class to items that interest the students is one way to get them involved in live chats. Another approach I take is to hold two chats, one that I lecture on material covered, and another for Q and A, which seems to help as well.  

I think many of our students have other obligations at the times we offer our chat sessions, and may watch the archived versions.  Unfortunately, too,  I think  many of our students do not see the beneift of watching and listening to them.  I share with my students that in every chat session I discuss one of the week's assignments and give insight and hints for completing the assignment.  I also give those students who attend the live chat session an opportunity to complete part of the assignment during the chat session.

Sincerely,

Marjorie Thrall Moller

In my opinion, students do not participate in the live chat or watch the recordings for several reasons:

1. The do not find the content interesting or engaging , this can be caused by the instructor being dry and just reading off the slides.   

2. They have time constraints and they do not see have time to attend the live chat session and/or do not see the value in watching the recording. 

3. They are afraid to attend and be asked a question they cannot answer.  Fear of embarrassment. 

I feel that they just have better things to do. Taking an online class you're able to fit it in your schedule and if the instructor is available through out the week why attend an online vewing of information that is already sent out or can get by if needed or even wanted.

I think this builds off of what Marjorie is saying.

Sean

Everyone offered great insights and observations! I have also been teaching online for over 10 years and have had generally poor chat attendance. As a collegaue above mentioned, those that do attend benefit and enjoy the time they choose to invest in the chat. However, the first issue, is getting them to attend - ONCE! Here is my thinking on the poor attendance:

1) Students feel as though they are in an online class, so they are not aware or familiar with a synchronous opportunity.

2) They may feel emabrrassed or afraid to participate (via voice or text) because of their skill or comfort level in these areas. 

3) They purposely chose an online learing option to avoid interaction with the instructor or other students.

4) In effort to expedite their course completion, they do not want to take the time to listen. They will (typically) just attempt the assignments and then go back and use the resources.

5) They may not have the ability to set aside time to listen given their life restrictions (i.e. kids, work schedule, computer access, etc.).

I also agree with another colleague as stated above, that attendance should be mandatory for at least the first few semesters (1 - 3 depending on semester length) and for those who fall below SAP standards or other school-imposed performance guidelines. In more advanced courses, it could be considered optional. NOTE: I personally completed some post graduate work online at a top 10 university and class attendance was mandatory. Not only did you WANT the intereaction for questions, you benefitted from the questions and lectures to the class as a whole - just like a traditional classroom. Therefore, I would suggest that many traditional options should be implemented as we continue to evolve the online realm of learning. 

Sign In to comment