Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Blog versus discussion board

Is there a place for both discussion boards and blogs in an online class? Seems to me that one cancels the other out. I use discussion boards in my online classes and require students to post an initial thread, then respond in a meaningful way to at least two other students' posts. These postings are graded. Since I can attach videos, links and other ancillary material to discussion board postings, what's the value of a blog? Is it the world-wide exposure? Or something else?

Eileen,

I do. I have had students first follow expert blogs to model the behavior. I do think you can use discussion to do the job of Blogs. It is your call. You use the tool that best fits you, your content, and your students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I see the discussion board as the same activity as a blog. A student can type as much as they want into a discussion, and there is interaction between each other. I think the discussion boards may be a little less intimidating than blogs.

Vallorie ,

It is your choice. You have to find the tool that measures your objectives effectively. Its about fit.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment