Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Blogging

Do you think it is appropriate to grade a blog?

Actually, I do think it is appropriate.

I have done blog assignments in classes before, and I found that if I had an evaluation template for grading purposes, students seemed to work a bit harder on their postings.

Hello Patricia:

I agree that blogs can be graded. However, the instructor should provide the student with a rubric that outlines the expectations for the content and structure.

I think this is a core question for use of all social media. We must ensure that we are using the media to support mastery of learning objectives, not simply because it is "fun" or "cool" to do so. We measure mastery of learning objectives. Participating in a blog is a learning activity. We should not simply measure participation in learning activities. We need to develop rubrics that define the expected outcomes of the learning that results from participating in the blog.

That is a hard question. I would think it depends on the assignment involved and the subject matter. On the one hand they are more likely to participate if it is a graded assignment, however, this could also make them reluctant to employ more critical thinking.

Roshawna,

If it met your learning objective yes I would grade it. Using a rubric that measured what you expected students to do would work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Patricia,

As Dr. Phil says " you have to have a dog in the hunt" students need to know what they earn by doing the work. Effort = payoff!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yvette,

Yes, the expectations should be provided to the students upfront. Students will put more effort in the work based on your expectations.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Trude,

You are spot on! We can't add this to a student's workload without it assessing a learning objectives. We don't want to just give students busy work as that means the work is meaningless. Also, just doing the blog does equal mastery. There has to be expectations of the work.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Morissa,

This is where you can model what you want and provide a rubric that guides them in the process. This is not busy work!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment