Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

YouTube

Why can't an instructor post instructin on YouTube if it is valid information from a reputable instructor (which should be all instructors- wishful thinking.) (?)

Milka,

I actually use YouTube quite a bit personally and professionally. I learned an SPSS technique watching YouTube. I find I can enhance ALL my lectures with YouTube clips that are usually better quality that I can produce.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

That's interesting! I've never thought about creating a YouTube of class room content. My concern is student participation.
I think using this venue would require the instructor to be very creative.
Watching a YOUTUBE may work for some students but not all.

I use youtube in my classes. I post a welcome video as well as several short videos that explain some of the trickier topics we cover.

Suzanne,

These are great strategies. I have use video that way also. It also saves in workload too as you can reuse them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jeanette,

I find if I embed them in my LMS students feel they are more "official". Our institution has a software that we use to create videos that will track who watches them and how long they watched. It is so handy.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Actually this gives me a great idea, I teach an ethics class and I think that will be a cool thing to add to the class. I do a lot of fun things in my class because I don’t want learning to be a dull experience for my students I want them to enjoy the learning process and I know that is something that will add to the class.

I myself use you tube in my personal life when I am trying to learn some new technique in hair care or when I am trying to find a tutorial because they have a great amount of material. My daughter who is four years old loves it because she spells the things that she wants to watch and pulls up all types of friendly videos.

The other side to you tube, is how to we get students to understand the importance of reliability and validity when they want to use videos as part of their resources in the submission of their assignments. Nonetheless, I think as educators we need to become more acceptable of technology and use them to our advantage.

It really depends on the content being taught, I suppose. As a software instructor, I've found that I can both save time AND deliver instruction more effectively by creating tutorial videos and hosting them on my institution's YouTube channel. In my opinion, this is more effective than creating text and image-based tutorials and hosting them on my course's LMS.

Also, depending on the software being taught, there are already thousands of free software tutorials on YouTube to begin with. As far as I'm aware, I'm well within my legal rights as an instructor to link my students to instrutional content that's already publicly available on YouTube, as long as I'm not rehosting or taking credit for it in any way.

Usually, YouTube cannot be used because it assumes that the instructor owns the copyrights of the presentation. When an instructor is employed by an online university or college, the institution owns the work product of the instructor, not the instructor. This means that by posting instruction on YouTube with out permission from the institution typically violates an instructor's employment agreement. It is a legal issue, not an instructional issue.

Donald L. Buresh

I use You Tube often in my classroom it is very helpful

This is an excellent idea! I am glad that I saw this post, as I have been considering implementing Youtube into my classroom, but I have yet to do so. With the experiences that you all have had, it makes me excited to try, thank you!

I use youtube videos to enhance the learning experience in the classroom. Each student learns differently so incorporating videos will allow students to learn from a visual. I choose videos that relate to the topics we are discussing and always ask students to provide their thoughts. The students enjoy them very much. Thank you

Using You tube should not be a bad idea .  Especially for the visual learners.  It will be a great tool to enhance learning

@kellywilkinson We are an exclusively online college and our Instructors upload videos of lectures on to our LMS. Is there a resource that has youtube videos on educational topics that we can trust and use to supplement our videos?

@mmicic,  I use Youtube frequently in my online discusssions and classes.  I think it is a great tool to provide additional contact with the students. 

Sign In to comment