Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics set the rules

I use rubrics a lot. The let my students know what to expect and they let me know where to put the emphasis in grading the students.

Jim,

Yes - we definitely use rubrics to help the students and to assist in our evaluation. Thanks!

This is very true. It is necessary to make the rubric available for the students to review so that they know what to expect, and what the instructor expects. I notice that students typically miss the mark somewhere in the rubric on the first round of discussion responses; however, once I am able to review and remind them of what is expected per the rubric, the majority of students fare better in the class by applying the criteria in their writing.

Aundrea,

Sure - when students know what to expect and it's tied to the learning outcomes, it's better for all involved.

Rubcis is a great tool, students need to understand exactly how they will be graded, and gives them a tool to use when they dont recieve the score they were assuming they would receive.

Rubrics allows students to plan their work with a good indication of the grade they will receive. It's a great tool for students who are unhappy with their grade to review their work in comparison to what is specified as a requirement in the Rubric. It assists me in time management as I tell students to perform this comparison before they talk to me about their grade. Many will ask if they can redo their work and resubmit. My response is always "Absolutely!"

Rose,

Ah - good point. Students can plan accordingly when they understand the expectations and have a rubric to help them. Thanks!

Lance,

And, when the students understand the expectations better, they tend to work more toward the learning outcomes. It's a good thing. Thank you.

Me too -- every assignment has a rubric and I break down the value of each response point by point. In this way, the rubrics in my classroom act first as a checklist for students to follow and secondly as a contract. Students know what they have to do and they know how I will assess their learning.

Sign In to comment