Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics

How often should you update your rubrics for your assignments?

Carolyn,

I review them every time I use them because some student will ask a question about it or make a suggestion. And, when I grade the assignment I have the opportunity to review the criteria/categories to make sure they are as perfect as I can get them.

Dr. Crews – would you elaborate more on your comments regarding the revision of rubrics? If the criteria for the course is not changing and the outcome is the same, why is there a need to modify the rubric?

Donna,

Sure. The criteria may be the same and the outcome may be the same, but criteria may be worded in some way that the students do not understand the expectations or the outcome. Many times the students come back after the grading of the project/assignment and explain why they did something the way they did and how they "understood" the criteria in the rubric. And, I "understood" the criteria completely different. Therefore, we work together to revise the criteria to make sure all students/instructors will understand them the same. Make sense?

Sign In to comment