Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to Respond

As the reading materials in this section indicated, the instructor should refrain from giving the answers to the discussions early on. If the instructor responses indicate right and wrong responses, other students may then be more apt to respond based on what the instructor has indicated. Typically I will open the discussion with some additional places the students can research the topic (websites, reading material etc). Then I will engage them by asking additional questions. I try not to give away the answer with my questions, but encourage them to think a little deeper.

Ellen,

Yes, facilitating a discussion is different than leading a discipussion. Thanks for bring that up.

I do the same thing, Ellen! I think that when responding to students it is important that we strive for critical thinking in the student's response. One thing I'm a big fan of is the Socratic method of questioning. Leave an open-ended question (I'm guilty of sometimes being the "Devil's Advocate") that will spark their imagination and cause them to really think!

Right, I keep them guessing over the course of the allotted time, if the discussion is for two weeks I will wait until the end to give the actual or best response, constantly steering them toward the best answer.

Virginia and Ellen,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Open-ended questions and being the "devil's advocate" can stir things that students may not have thought of before. We have to probe them into action at times. Thanks for your input.

Marshall,

This is careful, but guided facilitation or inquiry. Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

I do the same; I just do not tell them good posting!!! and move on. Instead, I try to ask them questions regarding their postings; that in turn, would make them think about it.

I normally ask open ended questions for my paralegal classes. When a student replies to the question, I will normally follow up with another question to "make them think more".

Elizabeth,

We have to serve as the good role model. We want them to continue to develop their critical thinking skills and not just say something is good to bad. Thanks for your input.

Mike,

Right on. Answering with a question can be an excellent way to keep the process going and going! Nice job.

Enouraging them to think not only helps them open their mind, but it also prompts other students to think harder as well.

I try hard not to give away answers until the end of the week. When I first started teaching, my boards were too much. I was providing too much information. The student had little more to add. Now, the boards are less to allow students an opportunity to demonstrate their understanding.

Ramonica,

Students should be thinking during each class and between classes. Keep them thinking.

Samantha,

It is even beneficial to answer questions with another question to get students to continue to think. Thanks.

Since I teach criminal justice, I tend to give them small "scenarios to go along with the questions asked in the discussion board with additional questions to help develop their skills in creative thinking. This also leads them to the correct answers to the original discussion question. What I have seen in some schools, and I do not like, is that the answer is actually spelled out in the text book and all they do is parrot what they read. To me, this does not show learning.

Janis,

I agree. Students need to think on their own and develop critical thinking skills. Scenarios/case studies are excellent to assist with this skill development. Thanks for your input.

Ellen-
You make a good point by mentioning that you ask additional questions. I try to do this as well, especially by asking questions that will cause them to think differently about the subject then they have to that point. Sometimes I ask "two-sided" questions ("If you agree, what is an example of how that would work in the real world..." vs. "If you disagree, provide a real-life example of why that's a problem..."

Thank you for sharing,
Gwenda

Gwenda,

The two-sided question method is excellent. It makes students think and defended their answer. Good job.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

I typically ask questions towards the beginning to reiterate the discussion question. I like to wait till the last day to respond to the post in order not to sway student's opinion in a particular direction.

From my perspective, discussion questions have no right or wrong answers. It is a simple dialog to engage students in a specific topic. Rubric in this manner allows the student to understand why points my be deducted. Such as bad grammar, spelling, etc.

Sign In to comment