Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Group Projects

The lesson idicated that collaboration is an integraded form of gropu work. I agree and find when I assign group projects early in the program students begin to develope that sense of community that is so important and it stays with them through out the block

michael,

Ah yes - when you "get them together" early, that community does begin to develop. Thanks for your input.

Hi Michael,

What types of group projects have you created that you've found successful in an online environment?

I personally do not like group projects but I agree that assigning projects early in the program does build a sense of unity and those who are going to lead the projects will step up quickly in the semester.

Marshall,

Group projects can be challenging, but we do all have to learn to work together. I work in teams all the time at work - whether I want to or not. . .

I consistently heard students say they hated group projects because most students in their group refused to make a contribution, leaving everything up to them to make sure the project got done.

My response has been to give extra consideration to those who really pitched in and a reduced grade to those who didn't. Other suggestions?

Lois,

I use a peer evaluation in which all students are assessed by their peers. Each get an individual grade based on this assessment. There's not just a "group" grade, but individual grades based on their work on the project. If you want a copy email me at tcrews@sc.edu.

Great point! I love adding group work to my courses. I wish we actually had more of it.

Rhonda,

I like group work more than my students do, but it's so important. Thanks for your input.

Michael,
My classes do not have any group work. How does this work with an on-line class where people are spread out all over the country?
Suzanne

Suzanne,

Students can use Skype, Adobe Connect, and other technologies to connect as virtual teams.

I absolutely agree that group projects can create a sense of community. However, I have also seen them make it difficult for students to understand the material, or even make them feel disenfranchised from the class as a whole. If one person is not participating, the group members may feel a sense of resentment for having to pick up their slack.

David,

We work as groups in every day life, so it is important for students to learn how to work in groups as well.

Michael,
In theory, could not agree with you more. However it does not always work. It is not unusual to have students who refuse to engage. When this happens, it causes the rest of the group to figure it out. How do you deal with this?

Dale,

Good question. Group projects can be tricky - especially online. Anything we can share with each other to help with these groups is appreciated.

I agree; but have experiences many difficulties in conducting online group projects. One issue is attrition. How do you encourage students to complete the group project process in the online learning environment?

James,

A good rubric and peer evaluation that impacts the final grade works for me.

It depends on the course type, we are in the technology space so virtual machines that groups can work on to perform lab activities usually get students to work together to complete task.

Ed,

You're right. The content plays a role in the online course. Thanks for your input.

Michael,

The curriculum that I teach does not allow group projects, but I remember so many of my online courses were "welded" closer in the group project as you do at work; all work is not as an individual, but rather, often members work together completing portions of the whole. are there other ways to provide the group experience?

Sign In to comment