Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubric Role

Hello,

A rubric's role is to make clear for the student the expectations of the an assignment. Secondly, it allows for structured grading by a teacher, as they are to compare a student's work to the rubric and assess whether the work is satisfactory.

Sepehr,

Right on! The key is that rubrics help both the students and the instructor. I also use the rubric to review the project/assignment to make sure it does what I want it to do and that it is aligned with the learning outcomes. I put the learning outcomes in the rubric itself so the students can see how the project/assignment is connected. Thanks!

I agree. I am constantly referring to my rubrics to remind myself "how many points do I take off for improper citations?" or "how many points is the outline worth?" I find it to be a very helpful tool for keeping many different classes and assignments straight.

Kelly,

And, the students can refer to the rubric to better understand the expectations. Rubrics help us all. Thanks for your input

I think a well designed rubric helps student understand why s/he obtained the grade for the assignment.

It also allows the instructor to evaluate students consistently across the various elements.

Finally, the feedback included in the rubric will encourage a student to improve her/his performance on future assignments.

Patricia,

Yes, rubrics help both the students and instructor. Nice job.

I have always found rubrics to be a most effective measurement of grading students uniformly. Also, I think it is important to share the rubrics with the students at the beginning of class so they know how they will be graded.

Do you think students should be provided rubrics at the beginning of a class?

- Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

Eileen,

Definitely. Give the students the rubric when you make the assignment. I put all of my rubrics in the syllabus so they have them all the first day of class.

Sign In to comment