Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Difference in Generations

I honestly did not notice such a gap in the communication skills (input and output) until I began the journey of teaching online. Since the online environment consists primarily of written communication, I quickly learned that every student does not respond well to same method of communication. While this is true, I cannot bend to ineffective or "inappropriate" communication (i.e. "texting" language in an essay question). Every instructor must reach a happy medium wherein class announcements (e-mails or postings) are communicated effectively (i.e. appropriate and acceptable grammar, clear, and concise); however, the instructor can also cover any potential communication issues in private e-mails so that specific issues can be addressed without embarrassing any student while keeping everyone on the same page.

Aundrea,

It's amazing what you have learned as an online instructor. Keep it up.

I often experience this when dealing with my mother. She owns a smart phone, but does not text or utilize applications. She only makes phone calls!

In my online experience, I have observed challenges amongst all students. Many online students have very busy lives. I have found some students are willing to devote more time to learning the proper methods to communicate and some show little to no effort at all. I try and address the issues I see collectively and individually with students.

Yes, and with this I fear the output of up and coming generations. In elementary schools they are being taught that spelling is no longer a priority. Typing is more important that writing in cursive. However, thus mentioned items are not the most frightening of events. What scares me the most is the school board changing what they feel is deemed the ideological stand point every 3 years. I think it is important as educators to uderstand what students have gone through leading to us.

What are your thoughts on the shift in ideologies in education?

I believe that rapid and frequent shifts in ideologies in education is not fruitful and will cause a lack of consistency and confusion in the educational system. There are principles in education that are never changing: reading, writing, and comprehension. While we live in a world where technology advances at a rapid rate, students must know how to write legibly, clearly, and with understanding. No longer are we competing only on the domestic front. We now compete on a global basis, and these "common principles" are consistent in other countries. These are the basics. When we move away from or making frequent shifts in the basics, we lose the core of our educational system, hinder the learning environment and objectives for every student, and sabotage our own ability to compete globally.

Kimberly,

You are right. Every student is different and they all have challenges. Keep striving to teach them all.

Aundrea,

Good point. Others will agree that going back to the basics is a good thing. Thanks for your input.

Richard,

I think things cycle. Educational systems have their ups and downs, but I have to believe students are learning and I hope they are learning that they have to keep learning. Thanks!

Aundrea,

Differences in communication skills were obvious when I started teaching years ago. And, it is a good thing that happens in the different teaching environments (ground, Hybrid and online) because all students get involved in the communication process and gain valuable insights from it. Reason is that everyone one way or the other will work with people from different generations.

Sign In to comment