Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communicating Across Generations

Instructors have a very fun job in learning to communication across generations. It is also very interesting to see these generations come together inside the classroom discussion forums.
It is very important to set clear, precise expectations about how communication should happen within the classroom. If not, things can quickly go array.
Along with communicating with generations within the classroom, it is also interesting to observe the different levels of motivation across generations.
Jorell Lawrence

Jorell,

Glad you like your job and see it as fun. It's not like work when we can have fun with it. You are right that a lack of communication can cause confusion and we have to work at keeping communication proactive. Nice job.

Hi Jorell,

I do find myself engaging more with students in my own personal generation, due to the fact that we relate more on a personal level. But I still find that interacting with the others opens my mind up to learning and communicating in ways that are more effective and well rounded also.

Monique,

And, your students may do the same - interact with peers in their same generation. We have to help them see they can learn from all peers and not just similar ones. Thanks for your input.

I tend to interact with all the generations because I understand their motive and thus I find ways to get to their level and keep them engaged. Different perspectives on a topic is the way to go and plus it establishes a dialog among the generations despite of their agreements or disagreements.

Elodie,

The term "motive" is an interesting one to use. It's great that you communicate well with all generations. Thanks for your input.

We normally break learners into small groups no larger than 4-5 and if you allow them to pair up they will divide themselves into exclusive groupings (baby boomers, gen x and gen Y) I think naturally they look for common interest, age etc.Sometimes i think matching up groups for the class does not work as there is more potential for personality clashing.

Ed,

That's a good idea. When we break students into smaller groups they can also get to know each other better and build the community they needs.

Sign In to comment