Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Helping Student Communicate Effectively Online

To assist my student with online communication I make sure to have office hours clearly posted so they know when they are able to reach me. Also, I hold a weekly group session via webex, which the students can log into if they have questions or concerns about the weekly material. Also, the webex is a great way for the instructor to assist the student with additional material to help them succeed, such as power point presentations.

Stacy,

Main sure students know when you are available and providing different way to contact you can be a good thing. I use Adobe Connect like you use WebEx. Keep communicatimg!

I also provide and repeat during weekly chat sessions the official office hours, but I also provide the offer if I am online and they have a question to just ask! I also ask they send emails or call me and not wait till an office hour if there are questions. I also provide the introduction to our class that we all have something to add and the expectation is for all to be professional in all communications. This does work for the public forums,not always for emails sent directly to me! : - )

cynthia,

Office hours are good for students to know when you will be available, but I think so many times students catch us at other times too. Thanks for your input.

I like using WebEx for my weekly office hours. I especially like that I can text chat or use VOIP with students privately, so in that way it mimics having a traditional office where students don’t have to share problems they may be having with the assignments.

I also include attachments that I can screen share, which covers areas that students may need additional help with. Besides my office hours, students can read me via phone (I use a VOIP system) as well as through their course email and my instructor email. However, I still find that students will ask questions or express difficulties they are having in their weekly assignment submissions.

It would be great to hear about ideas being used to encourage students to use these other avenues to ask questions, before their work is due.

Donna,

WebEx, Adobe Connect, and more are great for online office hours. I actually tell my students NOT to email me. They post all course questions on the Frequently Asked Questions discussion board and I or another student (I give minimal extra credit for correct and complete answers from other students) will answer the question within 24 hours if the post was posted Sunday - Thursday. They can't wait too long to ask questions or they won't get their answer. If they post on Friday or Saturday, it may not be answered until Monday. I also make all assignments due Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. Then, most questions come on Monday and Tuesday and we're all available to answer questions. It works for me. Hope this was helpful.

Although I post office hours in my online classrooms, students will rarely call me during classroom office hours. I have found that students are more than willing to call me at any point in time of day or night, sometimes even late in the evening. People want answers when they want them. I think that there is a politician who has that as his motto (I want what I want when I want.it). Even if I post office hours, and I am at home, I take telephone calls from my students. I love chatting with students, it is so much fun. When I chat with students. I tried to ensure that they have fun in the conversation. I want to make learning easy. The reason is because of my mission in life, to empower as many people as I can before I die. I do a one person at a time.

Donald,

I set times that they can/cannot call and/or email and stick with it - don't vary. We have to be available to our students, but not 24/7. Also, I make all of my assignments due Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. That way when they have questions before it's during the day. If you make things due at midnight, you will then have questions late at night. See what I mean?

Sign In to comment