Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

MIA students may have a reason

We use Moodle and I can see participation at a glance for each of the classes. When I see a student go silent, I look and see if they are doing it throughout their courses, or in just one. If just one, it may be a content or instructor issue. However, if they are really MIA there could be a legitimate reason.

I have had students dealing with a child being shot, a spouse missing in action, death in the family. Because I know there can always be a reason, I make sure to phrase my inquiry so that it is seen as being concerned, not critical. The students are so appreciative. And yes, I'm sure some have played the tragedy card when it isn't true(grandma deaths and final exams) but for the most part the students are honest and will admit if they have dropped the ball.

Patricia,

We use Blackboard, but I hear Moodle has great features to let you interact with students. Sounds like you have dealt with some serious issues with your students. I like honesty as well. Thanks!

We use Moodle and we are also required to submit reports for students who have been absent for a week. Even if a student is submitting a portion of the assignments, I still submit the reports so that Administration can check on the student. Yes, students will avoid the Discussion forums, but will submit assignments. It is a good idea to check to see the status of the students in other courses. If I should see that a student is online, but not working in my class, I have, on occasion, emailed a student and mentioned that "I see that you are online; can we talk?"

Jacqueline,

How do you like Moodle? I have talked to several people who use it. I like the "I see that you are online; can we talk?" Reaching out is good.

Patricia,
You are so right that the students may have a valid reason. I usually reach out to them via email, but if they don't respond I will call them. It's important that we reach them where they can be reached.
Melissa

Melissa and Patricia,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Email and the phone can work well together to keep students motivated and on task. Thanks for sharing.

Showing concern is the a great approach. I have also found that if a student has dropped the ball, they are scared to reach out. If concern is shown, they are more likely to explain what has happened truthfully instead of trying to make up an excuse.

Natalie,

Many times we have to think about being in the students' shoes. How would we feel if this/that happened to us.

Thanks!

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for posting this important topic. As we know, students start school with so much energy and excitement and then something happens and all of that can shatter if they do not have the right support that has been established. I trend students, meaning I watch the behavior of attendance and participation to determine if I 'see' them slacking off. This way, I can show them I am being proactive to the situation instead of reactive which can cause difficulty for them to catch-up.

Heather

Heather and Patricia,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. We continue to learn from each other through these forums and I appreciate you adding your thoughts.

I have had similar student problems pop up as well as excuses that are not truthful: computer is broken, internet in my neighborhood has been out for 2 weeks, not following proper grammar, structure, etc. because there is a broken key on the laptop.

I always tell students up front that anything that results in an extended absence, etc will require proof in some form: repair bill, etc.

This seems to keep most of the problems to a minimum. There will always be some problems but if you deal with it up front they seem to be limited.
/Randy

Randy,

I simply have a no late work accepted policy. The reason doesn't matter. There are public libraries they can work at, Internet cafes, etc. I can't turn in my reports to my boss late in the real world and I enforce that. It works for me.

Yes, they may feel that they have missed too much and can't catch up. I do take late work, but I set deadlines so students don't try to give me everything during the last 2 weeks.

Hi everyone.
When a student goes silent there are several variables that go into the mix on the decision on what step to take.
Some of the variables are...
• Have they posted anything in the classroom?
• Have they responded to an email?
• What was their grade to that point?
• Is it a long or short course...this will determine how long the silence may be before it is a critical issue.

I often wait until into the 2nd week of silence to contact them……by email and phone.
I too have run into amazing situations they find themselves in...and when situations are verified…..most tend to be truthful.

Any thoughts on if a one week into the second week wait is too long in a five week class?

Be safe.
John

Cathleen,

I think it really depends on the size of the class when I think about late work, but I just don't do it. I started not taking late work when my class size got over 200 students. And, I don't want the students to continue to procrastinate. But, we all have to do what works for us.

Thanks!

John,

It's good to get those silent students back on track. It's important to recognize them as soon as we can. I contact them by the end of the first week if they are silent no matter how long the course is. Works for me.

The LMS we utilize also allows us to see student activity. We are able to identify students who are struggling in the courses and/or those who are MIA. As an institution, we have intervention plans in place to help students be as successful as possible.

Aubrie,

Please tell us more about your intervention plan. This is a great concept. Thanks.

Patricia,
I agree that there can be legitimate reasons for students to be absent from a course. However, I am always very skeptical when a student has been participating very little, if at all, throughout the entire course and then suddenly appears with two days left and asks for an extension because of some "emergency." How do you handle this type of situation?

Hannah, you are right and we were also getting that as well. My colleague, Shannon Baxa, created a message that she sends out at the beginning of the term to the students and it seems to be helping, here it is:

Late Work: It is vital that you submit all assignments/labs/exams and complete all work by the time that it is due. If you encounter an emergency and cannot submit on time - please send me an email ASAP apprising me of the situation and the duration of the extension you are requesting. An important part in planning for your career is to treat this program as if you were a working professional. By showing me that you are planning when unable to meet your "deadline" is very important. If you do not request an extension - late work may be penalized at an approximate rate of .5 points per day after the due date. If you request an extension and do not meet that date/time - the penalty will also come into play. If a student is frequently submitting late work - we will discuss this and I will help you develop a better time management plan. Again - I am sensitive to issues and understand that life happens. Under extreme circumstances, I will work with the student to determine the best approach for late work submission. Keep in mind that it is best to just submit work on time!

Sign In to comment