Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Provide Examples

I think the best way to encourage students to communicate effectively is to lead by example. I give them numerous examples at the beginning of class to show them what is expected. Also, when grading, I explain better ways in which something could have been worded and why.

Ellen,

Being a role model is an outstanding way to lead students. Keep up the good work.

You've hit upon the essence of good instruction--"lead by example!" If students feel that the instructor is engaged in the lesson and is providing tips on how best to complete that assignment students will follow suit. Instructor enthusiasm and approachability is paramount to a the success of any online forum.

Virginia,

We serve as role models. Keep serving and keep up the good work.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Something that I did in an earlier course was to show examples of an A, B, and C assignment. The problem is that I would get a lot of submissions that looked like A. I wonder is there a way to offer examples without them turning into templates for the students?

Patricia,

When I show examples, especially with writing examples, I show the students a "B" example and tell them if they want to do "A" work they have to do more than the example. OR Show them two very different examples and tell them they can do anything inbetween. They do like examples though.

Sign In to comment