Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Phone calls

What is everyone's opinions on phone calls to students? Since we teach in an online environment is calling them on the phone ever "too much"?

Sarah,

I have called before to introduce myself, clarify some feedback I have provided to students, talk to them about getting back on track as they have fallen behing, and also to talk about a suspected cheating issue. I don't call all the time, just when needed. Everyone has a different way of doing things.

As we are teaching in an online environment, calling students would not be my first form of contact. However, I am available by phone everyday during specified hours to assist my students. I reserve phone calls for student outreach or if the student perhaps just needed a little more clarification. I limit my phone calls because I do not want the students to misinterpret it or think the phone is our main line of communication. I especially like the chat feature over the phone. Students may feel that is less intimidating.

M. Allen

Mamie,

Yes, many provide the phone as an option but not necessarily the first point of communication. Thanks for your input.

I typically provide my phone number to students in case they have an emergency or need help with something before I am able to check my email for the day. I also follow up any and all communications with an email to the student (just for documentation purposes) within the course email to ensure we both agree on what was discussed should any questions arise.

Kimberly,

The follow up via email for documentation is an important point. Thanks for bringing that up in this forum.

I prefer email communication with students because it provides a written archive or record. A phone call cannot be recorded so what is said can be taken out of context or the conversation could be presented or "heard" in quite different terms during follow-up. Also, an email provides a measure of insulation for the student and instructor against false statements or accusations.

And finally, an email serves as a note-taking service of sorts, as the student or instructor can refer back to the email for further clarification or as a refresher, depending on the nature of the email.

Darrin,

Email does provide for quick communication and serves as a process of documentation if there are questions about what was said at a later date. Nice job.

I would prefer to e-mail a student as it stays as proofs that I have communicated with the students; but at times, a phone call is also needed.

Elizabeth,

I'm right there with you. Although I try to minimize my email, but have them post questions to the Frequently Asked Question discussion board. But, I still have "proof." Thanks!

I think it depends on what "too much" is. Calling just to call is one thing. But calling a student who is struggling, behind, not participating, etc. is important. You may gain an understanding as to what is going on in that student's life that is causing the issues. You may also gain an excuse which is just as important to know about your student. Either way, it could serve as motivation. It also puts the human element in to the course. Calling is a good thing.

Nate,

Yes, you would have to define "too much." I define "immediate" to my students in that "immedate" feedback to me means 24 hours. So, we do have to clarify as we go. Thanks!

I like to make phone contact with students the first week of class to establish rapport and voice to voice contact with students. After the first week, I am ok without the phone contact, but students typically call with issues. To avoid some of the calls, I let students know that I accept text messages as well. I have found that more students choose this method.

Rhonda,

The phone contact helps establish that community/relationship and can make all the difference in the world. Thanks!

Text Messages are more convenient for everyone. I have my time in the evening that works for me, and the students have their time, usually early morning after their children have gone to school or late at night after they have gone to bed. I don't have a lot of luck with phone calls. Most of the time if the number is a good number, they won't call me back.

Ruby Whitehead

Ruby,

Glad you have found a system that works for you. Nice job.

Rhonda,
A student recently asked me a course question via text message. It was the first time I had an online student ever communicate via text messaging. I liked it so much, I encourage texting from my students. The only requirement is that they identify themselves and use proper grammar and spelling when texting; as I am not familiar with much of the texting language. :-)

Vivian Washington

Vivian and Rhonda,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Texting language is something to disucss.

I try hard to avoid calling on the phone if possible. Many times the phone call is simply an excuse session for the student to explain all of the different excuses they may have for not doing what they know they should be doing. At the campus I teach we are not given access to a phone to make long distance calls and are not reimbursed for them. The preferred method for communication is via instant messaging over the campus system. That doesn't work for all students and some of them don't understand the technology well enough to use that system.

I have found that having a good syllabus, course expectations clearly identified, and providing meaningful comments on grades the number of phone calls needed each session is minimal to none.

Craig,

We all have our preferences. Once we find what works for us and our students, that's great. We all just have to be effective and clear in our communication. Thanks!

Sign In to comment