Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can there be to little communication

My students have to respond to the postings of other students. They tend to reply good post or great job.

I try to break them of this habit by contacting them privately and giving them a 0- for the post.

Jim,

The individual contact is helpful to many students. Thanks for your input.

Hi Jim,

I typically give one warning to each student, but generally express this instruction before the first assignment. Although it may be in the instructor comments to students, syllabus or other, they need to be reminded at least one time. Once I give this one warning, I start taking off points for that because it is not critical feedback in a response and is not really acceptable as a grade (on the response portion anyway). If they continue to do so, I contact them personally and let them know that I will be providing a "0" on this portion of the assignment from this point on if not completed properly.

Rick Johnson

Rick,

We all need reminding from time to time. Contacting them personally can also encourage them to communicate and participate. Thanks!

I agree with taking off points, but be sure to give them an example of a "good response". That allows the a blueprint to work off of for the future.

Alicia,

Examples are essential. I give "good" and "bad" examples. It seems to be very helpful. Thanks!

When students are not participating in the discussion forum an email is a great start, but it is also important to respond often and ask a closing question to ensure the students are understanding the learning concepts or are able to view the information from a different perspective.

Dr. Benson

Rebekah,

We need to keep them engaged. If my students are not involved in the discussion forum, I give them a prompt in email to participate. It helps. Thanks!

I also try to break my students of this habit of "I agree", "Great post", etc. However, I also find that I must help the students keep the responses in the discussion board content relevant rather that responding to personal issues. For example, I encourage students to add examples or work experiences that show their understanding of the material though application of the class material. Many students will discuss a past or current work experience perhaps regarding rewards to following safety guidelines. Some student responses tend for focus on the personal issues (i.e. "Your job sounds great, and I am so glad that your boss gave you the award. I wish my boss would do the same."), rather than perhaps discussing why the rewards programs encourages compliance with OSHA and how to improve the program (content relevant). I must frequently correspond with students regarding this issue. It works for some, but other seem to continue in this practice.

Aundrea,

I agree. Ha! I just wanted to put that first. ;-) We do have to encourage students to "stir" the conversation on discussion boards or synchronous environments. Good point.

Jim,

I noticed the exact same thing with my students. I too attempt to break thenm of this habit. I include it in my class introduction announcement.

Derrick and Jim,

Interesting that you both noticed the same things with your students. Keep working with your students.

Small responses by students do not facilitate a threaded conversation in the Discussion Boards. I usually respond to the student with a deeper question such as "In your opinion, what makes this a great post? Please explain fully and provide a related example." This will give the student an opportunity to expand on their thinking and possibly earn a better grade.

Rose,

You are right. Those little simple responses do not move the conversation forward. I provide an example of a good and not so good discussion board post in my syllabus so students begin to understand the expectations.

I have given instructions that if they agree or disagree with their peers opinion then they need to explain why and give example to support it. That has helped me so far and students try to think more deeply on peer's responses instead of just agreeing and disagreeing.

The title intrigued me to respond. Can there be too little communication? Absolutely in the online environment! Isn't communicating through our various tools that we have determined to use in our classes what it is all about? If there is silence on the other end, in the form of no responses, it is like dead air on the phone! So, it is up to the instructor to re-evaluate the communication tools that have been set up in the course.

Sign In to comment