Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Netiquette

How many of you have established rules regarding this?

Lisa,

I have developed rules and the are simple. Respect everyone, be professional in your communication, and no texting language. Hope this helps.

I include a "Road Map to Success" document in my online course. It includes my school's Academic Honesty and Plagiarism Policy, my personal Late Work Policy, and the following guidelines:

Expectations for Student Success
- Completion and timely submission of all assignments
- Plagiarism and Cheating are strictly prohibited
- Adhere to MLA guidelines
- Demonstration of Respect for other students
- Attend Live Chat or listen to archived recordings

Kelly,

Love it. Road Map to Success - even the title helps students begin to understand they are in charge of their own success. Nice job.

Although we dont use our internet access for comunication we do set a code of conduct that they sign for usage to maintain use for educational purposes only .

I utilize basic expectations and rules that are outlined by the school. However, I like the idea of offering a clearer set of netiquette rules to help guide students.

Though it is rare, I am always shocked to see a student use foul language in a post or a paper. I am quick to address it, but clearly it should be spelled out beforehand.

Sunshine,

There don't have to be very many rules, but as you noted - basic. It's good to show them what is acceptable and not acceptable. No foul language, no texting language, or whatever you deire. It's your class and we should all be respectful of others.

Hello,
I always provide netiquette rules in the class announcements and discuss them in the live chats throughout the session. The netiquette rules are also outlined by the University.

Hi Sunshine,
I have heard about students who have used inappropriate language in discussions and in emails. How is this addressed? Who do you report the infractions to? Also, when it is addressed, what are the sanctions for the student's behavior?

Tina & Sunshine,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. We do have a method that the instructor can report such offenses to our technology services department and the students are sent an email warning. If it continues and is reported a second time, the students are referred to the office of student conduct and are reprimanded in a variety of ways depending on the violation of the code of conduct.

Tina,

It's good to connect your course netiquette rules to the university rules. Nice job.

I have also established simple rules for students to adopt: be respectful, professional and insightful. I phrase my instructions with such words as 'contribute to' and 'provide astute' replies to help students embrace the positive aspects of what they're engaged in.

Darrin,

Simple is good. It makes it say for them to remember and easy to do. Nice job.

I touch on this topic as well. I feel it is very important for the students to not intimidate each other but to help each other. I feel respect is very important in any environment.

Ramonica,

Yes. Building on the respect is excellent. Thanks.

I have; but issues still surface. I feel this is the case due to the lack of face to face barriers that exist in a virtual environment. Without this barrier, some feel as though they can say what they want without repercussions.

James,

Policies, policies, policies and stick to them. That works for me.

James,

I agree with Tena, polices and stick with it.

Sign In to comment