Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using texting

I am an older instructor and do not like texting. However I find I can get student to respond better when I text them as opposed to calling them.

Jim,

You're not "older" - you "seasoned." ;-) My students do text more than email Thanks!

Hello Jim,

I have tried using texting as a form of communication with my students and have received minimal responses. Even though I expect most students to respond via text, I have been surprised with the lack of use. Most of my students respond favorably via email. As we have learned in Module 2, an instructor has to choose which communication is best. My students are great about letting me know the best ways to communicate with them and I try to use those methods as often as possible.

Janelle and Jim,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. That's interesting and the exact opposite response many of my peers have had. Have you tried using Remind 101? If students sign up, you can send one text and it goes to many students. It's just a time saver.

I am dealing with students in externships. Most prefer text due to their work schedules. It allows them to respond when it is convenient or feasible for them. I work a full-time job as well and find it works well for me too! I ask the students at the beginning of the course which mode they prefer and go with that unless they become unresponsive.

Alicia,

Do you use Remind 101 (it's actually just called Remind now)? You can open an account, have students sign up and then send one message to several students and they receive it as a text. Works for me.

Hi Jim,
This is an interesting thread.
I did not like texting either. I remember the first time a student text me. I was not sure I would like it, but knew I could provide a quick response without the student having to wait. Per the instruction there are pros and cons. One of the cons is that students typically do not follow office hours when they text. I have had text messages come through at 6a, and some as late as 11pm. Thanks, Compreca

I have never initiated communicating to students via text; however, I make them aware that I love text messaging and they may receive a quicker response from me via text versus a phone call. My day job does not allow me the opportunity to use the phone much during business hours. I am able to respond to students' needs during the day if I receive a text message. I think it is definitely a matter of preference, one that is influenced by things external to the classroom.

Kimberly,

Interesting that you have not initiated such communication, but are open to students contacting you. Thanks for your input.

compreca and Jim,

Thanks for your continued conversation. It's interesting how we all find things that work for us and things that don't. Keep trying new things.

Jim,

I am 41, which I don't consider old, and I hate texting myself, whether it is with friends and family or students. I have and do often do so, and students do respond better to texting than e-mail. The problem is that just provides them another opportunity to use the texting lingo that is such a problem in online classes today, so I try to avoid it if at all possible.

Sincerely,

Vince

Vince and Jim,

Thanks for continuing the conversation and providing your own examples.

Dr. Tena Crews

I am the same Kimberly. I do however let me students know that they can contact me via text. I am afraid to initiate a text to a student, because some people don't have unlimited texting. That is why I leave it up to my students to text me. I feel that way they have initiated the conversation, so I feel free to respond.

Sign In to comment