Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

English as a second language (ESOL)

Most of my students are capable to adapting and coaching me as an instructor into the communications tool they feel most comfortable using, sometimes even despite my promptings. But the students I'm worried about he most are those for which English is a second language. When I detect grammar or flow problems with emails or IMs, I’ll attempt a phone call or use a VoIP tool. Interestingly enough, I find that students with difficulties in English as a Second Language tend to also have problems with many communications technologies. I don’t want to over simplify, but telephone contact with students for which English is a second language seems to work best for me. I’m wondering if anyone else has a similar or different experience.

Ron,

There are some technologies you can use for ESL students. I have used Ivona which allows me to type a script for voice over PowerPoint and then the script can be turned into a voice of another language. It's not perfect, but may be helpful.

Dr Tena,

I never heard of a program like “Ivona” that will translate my text to a FOREIGN language. Very cool! …although I can understand how it would be “not perfect”.

But I just checked and it is apparently Windows based only. Are you aware of any similar Macintosh compatible programs?

John Bohn, M.D.

Ron (or Dr. Tena),

I would agree that my students for whom English is not their native tongue have a great deal of difficulty not only with messages and emails, but often short answers and discussion boards. They worry me also, but I have not yet gone the phone call route. ESL is a specialized niche area for communications problems for me -- and I have MANY such students.

Here are my dilemmas -- and i would love any advice:

#1) How do you APPROACH the subject?

Often I can't tell if it is the case of an American-raised student who has a writing disorder, or dyslexia, or just uses plain bad English - all of which end up mimicking an ESL pattern at times. (Sometimes I can tell when texting / slang / local or ethnic dialect examples show up, but often not).

Usually I am correct, but on at least one occasion I think I inadvertently "offended" a student by asking if English was her first language. It was...but it was just crummy (!). (The thing that made me ask was her misuse of a common idiom.)

I am toying with the idea of asking all students at the start of a course if they have ESL, issues to let me know privately. I did this on one occasion and the student was exceedingly grateful at all my grammar tips and corrections. Others are less "appreciative". But what do I do if I get such a list ? (-- see #2 below.)

#2) Should ESL issues REALLY affect grading?

I deal with online medical courses (Anatomy & Physiology and Pharmacology), and they have a lot of new vocabulary for students. On top of this my institution takes off points for improper English on Discussion Board Posts and peer replies.

Part of me understands and agrees with the principle -- essentially saying that professional life starts here in your academic preparation, and any written output should be at the same level as an acceptable patient chart entry. This helps handle those who try to flippantly use the academic discussion board as a social network board. They simply need to learn to code-switch to academic vernacular. But often I see ESL students REALLY trying, yet failing on the "proper English" part – often in a big way.

My difficulty here is whether this should really be a "points off" event, or simply a "teaching moment" event in which this student subset gets cut a little slack. ( I can't imagine how I would come across writing Mandarin, Russian, or Farsi (!) -- probably would seem like I'm apathetic or of low intelligence.)

ESL is a specialized niche area for communications problems for me -- and I have MANY such students. Advice?

- John Bohn

John,

I am not aware of Macintosh programs, but I'm sure they are out there. It's been beneficial to me.

John and Ron,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. We all have to analyze what we are teaching, our struggles (as well as our students' struggles) and how to deal with "what we have." Thanks!

Sign In to comment