Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Trying to communicate in just 5 weeks

I have found that with my classes only being 5 weeks its very hard if I don't get them communicating in the first 2 weeks I lose them. I really try to use our DB area to pull them out during week 1 and 2 to get them communicating. I also have found that in our live chat sessions it is very hard to get them to communicate and participate. I have added polls, put questions during the live chat and they still don't really participate. Any suggestions on how to get them to communicate more during the live chat?

Carolyn,

Using the discussion board immediately and having them introduce themselves early is important. The live chats may be more important for just open discussions and questions in a 5 week course. They come if they want to talk. You may not have time for much more. Thanks!

In the Learning Objective Modules, one of the recommendations is to conduct an assessment. You can get student feedback on the effectiveness of the communication tools you are using or which communication tools they feel most comfortable using. If students have a social networking app on their phone or other mobile device, they may be more apt to participate simply because the process is convenient for them.

Donna,

Any feedback you get from students, in my opinion, is worth taking into consideration. Assessing the communication tools is essential. Thanks for your input.

One of the problems of online learning is that I have found it almost impossible to get people to talk to each other. In other words, we can lead a horse to water, but we cannot necessarily make them drink. The problem with online learning is that if the student doesn't wish to communicate, there's really nothing that we can do. We cannot stand over them and demand that they communicate. All we have is the power of influence. The key is to use that power of influence judiciously and carefully.

Donald,

Actually there is something you can do to help them communicate. Make it a part of their participation grade, use rubrics for discussion boards and assign different students and/or groups of student to lead discussion on the discussion board. I even have my students record something relating for the course for others to watch. All encourage communication. Hope this is helpful.

Preparation is key. Having template emails that you can personalize for each student and contacting students before the course (with welcome letters, etc.) can help. I would suggest contacting students who have a lower GPA first (sometimes they can feel discouraged and need motivation). I suggest the first week because it's helpful to begin on a good note, rather have to play catch-up (for students and professors).

Then the second week ask yourself some questions: who have you spoken with via email, who haven't you spoken with via email, who turned in all the assignments, whose assignments need the most help, etc. I would suggest (if your school allows it) contacting them via phone. Leaving a message (if they don't pick up) may show them you care.

Like I said earlier, preparation is key. Preparation can make communicating easier and not too time consuming. Having a plan to communicate with students each week can be helpful. Thinking of different scenarios: if they respond, if they don't, when to contact them by phone, when to contact an advisor, etc.

Lastly, it's helpful to realize that you cannot make a student do anything. Sometimes you are their first online instructor or their last. They may feel overwhelmed or worn out. So, if you do what you can and show them you care about their success that's all you can do. It's up to the student to do the work and you to facilitate the course.

As far as live chats go, I would suggest using videos (helpful and informative; YouTube has good ones, depending on the subject), power points, asking open-ended questions and relating the subject to everyday life (news, exciting topics, etc.). Think about what excites you about the topic or course (if you cannot think of anything, it may be helpful to remember your past favorite instructors and how they inspired you).

I hope this helps and this chat/forum has helped me.

Thanks,

Wenda

Wenda,

Thanks for bringing that up. Preparation is key. We do have to try different methods of communicating and get the ball rolling right away - especially in a 5 week course. Thanks for your input.

Carolyn,

Live chats are a beast of their own and I have used some of the same techniques and they still don't participate. I've even had some log in and then they must have walked away.

For students not participating in the class either from not posting in the discussion board or live chat I send them an email to check in with them to see if they are having problems with the assignment or if its personal. So many online students have personal lives that they put before class work and by reaching out to them sometimes makes them feel like they are not just another number.

Lori and Carolyn,

Can you not have participation as a part of the students' grades? That works for me.

I do find that trying to connect with the student early is critical. Try to get them interested early.
I usually tell about me and ask what they want to achieve out of the course. Typically that gets them talking. However over the course it can often trim down. Constant communication and keeping the discussion going has helped

Lynn,

Yes, the connections with the students should be early and often. Communication is the key. Thanks!

Donald,

The participation grades, the rubrics for discussion boards and the group leader ideas are all excellent. I am very interested in applying some or all of them in the future.

Email
In my experience, I have discovered that if a student misses a forum or an assignment, a quick email from me will usually suffice to get them going. I will do this for no more than two weeks (we have eight week courses). I 'check in' with them and see how things are going. Are they having problems with: 1)course material; 2)technology and/or; 3)time management?

1). If it is a small course related problem, we review the material. Otherwise, schedule a F2F meeting.

2). Try as we may, many instructors may find some students of all ages are still uncomfortable with using technology in classes. This is where I find my continuing education in technology invaluable. I think having instructor-based knowledge of the software and equipment is a necessity when you are teaching an online course.

3). I have also found, 'life' sometimes just gets in the way for many of my students or they just can't get themselves organized. Unexpected issues seem to happen a lot, but then again, I can remember my college days and I know it can be difficult. :) So first, empathy works very well. Then, I try to help them find a solution to their problem as related to completing the course.

F2F
If I do not get a response to my email(s) or the missing online work continues for a third week, I do speak with them directly. First, by phone, then F2F as needed.

My goal is to build the S2I communication. So when we meet, I do listen to them explain what the problem is for short awhile, and then gently remind them of their commitment to taking the course. Whether that commitment was to themselves, to their families or whomever, most students seem to take that more seriously than not. The student and I, then review the online work directions and talk about future deadline(s). At times, regular meeting are required and do work best with some pupils.

As a final thought, my experience of taking the first step with emails does work well for me. However, F2F makes the biggest difference in communication with most students who are having difficulties. Their interest and retention improves after meeting F2F, as well.

Lyn and Donald,

Thanks for continuing the conversation and bringing so much to the conversation. Students do have different communication needs and in a tight timeframe, like 5 weeks, is difficult. Nice job.

Sign In to comment