Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

communication

Should a teacher give out their private home number to students?

Lisa,

I think it depends. When I have worked with students who were learning to be teachers and they were completing their internships, emergency situations could occur. I gave those students my home number for emergencies. In general I do not as I check my email and work phone (which I give both to students) often. So, I think it depends. Good question.

Giving students your personal phone number should be utilized if they are on an extership site and have questions on clinical procedures.

Barbara,

Yes, if there are cases where emergency situations may arise, it may be helpful to provide a personal phone number.

I do not feel that giving out my private phone number is a bad thing. In saying this, I would only give out a cell number, not a home number. The reason for this is that a home address is attached to the home number. I don't believe a home address is attached to a cell number.

I have been teaching online for 10 years and have always gave out my home phone number. When I first started schools did not require this but now it is more mandatory. You have to be accessible. I ask my students to call if they have a real problem and leave a message. I give them a window of time to call in. I have only had a few late Friday night calls in the past decade. So I have not problem offering up my phone number. It helps build relationships and solve problems faster.

Nathan,

Providing the window of time is essential if you are going to give out your phone number. You have set the boundaries for the use of that phone number well. That's the key. . .communication!

Yes,
I really believe that teachers shouldn't hesitate to give their phone number. As long as you make it clear about your contact hours in the beginning of the class, I think this shouldn't be an issue.

Providing the student with an office number is necessary. Giving the student the impression that the instructor is open to be contacted is a very important step towards relationship building. I provide my cell as a contact number and my office phone for direct calls. I beleive that the instructor must establish a means of trust that they are there to support the student's learning.
In addition, providing a contact number ensures a student can reach you in case of emergencies.

What other advantages are there for providing a contact number?

Unfortunately, I have experienced negative situations when giving my private number out to students. The various time zones and technical experiences had resulted in very late phone calls by frustrated students. As a result, I no longer provide a personal number for my students. Fortunately, I work for Universities that have wonderful 24 hour technical support services that the students can access via phone, email or instant message. I direct students to this resource for any technical issues.
If a student needs to contact me I suggest they email me first to arrange a time that we can talk as to avoid a phone tag situation. With that I said, I understand the need to want to talk call and leave a message so I also provide a voicemail service that the students can access to leave a message and I am available through instant message when I am logged on to my class. I am emailed the voice recording, which provides documentation of the time and date of the call.

Amber,

There is a fine line in which to provide information to students. I provide students with a number (work) and email that I also let them know when exactly I will be checking. I then create assignment due dates based on these times. We have to make it all work together. Thanks for your input.

This is a good question, Lisa. I have worked for several different schools and some require us to give our home number and others provide us with a number that leads straight to voicemail. Personally, I do not like to give out my home phone number. I understand emergency's can arise, but this day in age a student can send an email just as fast as making a phone call. If a student needs to set up a time to talk with me, if truly necessarily I will call them, but I feel we can communicate through a chat room just as well. What are your thoughts?

Molly Gambrel

Dr Dakin,
I agree that students need to know you are available and open to be contacted, but I also feel at some point there is a line that needs to be drawn with giving out a home phone number. My students have access to me thru email, IM, a campus voicemail, and a chat room. I feel those are all very useful tools that can keep the lines of communication open between a student and a teacher.

Molly & Lisa,

Thanks for working together to add important concepts to this forum. You bring up very good questions. I utilize open, synchronous, Adobe Connect Professional office hours where I can see the student if they have a Web cam and they can see me, or they can just chat. This gives them the option that they feel most comfortable with.

Molly & Dr. Dakin,

There is a line for various instructors are various points. I have students in various settings such as: Online classroom online or in the field working with clients. There is more likely an opportunity for "emergencies" in the field working with clients, so a personal phone number may be necessary. If just in class, email or discussion board or chat is fine with me. No matter what, we have to tell students how and when they can get in touch with me and be available.

When I taught at a Military Service Academy, I gave out my home/cell/office number to my students. Rarely, did they use it, but there were a few who desperately needed clarification on an assignment or project.

In this online environment I feel there are adequate methods to communicate. Having students contact me at home is something I shy away from unless the student emails me and requests a telephone conversation.

Carla,

We all have our different comfort level with giving out our home phone number. I like what you said about if the student emails and requests a phone converstation, then it will be done. Nice job.

I have provided my cell, but made it clear it is for emergency purposes only, and as a result I have had only two calls in over two years and they were emergencies. So, I am ok with it.

kevin,

Sounds like you have a system that works for you. That's the main thing. Thanks for your input.

Nathan, I been teaching about the same amount of years as you and I've seen how the information that instructors have to supply has grown as well. I have had some problems with some students calling my personal phone because the nature of the call wasn't about school. I like how AIU provides you a phone number with school, so I don't have to give my personal phone number to the students.

Sign In to comment