Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication

It is in my best interest as an instructor to keep up with technology. My students sometimes are much more advanced in the techno world.

Gail,

What do you do to keep up? And, what do you do with the students that know so much technology?

Thanks.

Keeping up to date, just by reading the news and googling about the different tech as you hear about it. Whe you have a student who knows a lot about tech it is a great oppertunity to learn from the student so that the application of that information can be used later in classes

Stephanie,

Yes, staying current is important. Students can provide us with a wealth of information, but finding it on our own is good too.

Thanks!

You are absolutely correct when you suggest that your students may know more about communication technology than you do. Often, I ask my students about functions that I have not used.

William,

What have you learned from them?

Hi.I think that we must evolve with technology.
Ms Melendrez.

Ms. Melendrez,

I agree. How do we do that?

You can teach a dog new tricks! I am a pro at the electronic health record but I learn from the students different sites to access for a more virtual environment. Student view You Tube daily and send students links pertaining to course content. I enjoy the interaction with the students and encourage the discussion.

Next term I am going to attempt an interactive group project presentation. From this module I learned of different sources that I will research prior to the course. I believe students will give me more insight to assist in the delivery,

Patricia,

I like the dog analogy. The interaction you are describing is great. Keep it up.

Nice job.

I totally agree that it is in the best interest of the instructor to keep up with technology to stay in the loop with the students. Most of my students form outside study groups in facebook as well as mass IM chats. So its always good to stay in the loop just in case you have to pop in a study group or two. Knowing the latest technology atleast gives you basic knowledge of the tools that are out to use.

Mandy,

Staying up to date with technology is a challenge, but important. I do learn things from my students every semester and many times it's a better way to do something within the class using technology. Always stay as up-to-date as you can, but don't be afraid to ask for help or ideas. Thanks!

This is so true. I also feel with the older generation back in school we as instructors need to allow for the lack of knowledge they have on all the new technologies. The younger generation is brought up in the "cyberspace technology" but older adult students may have very little to no knowledge when it comes to using computer programs etc.

Diane,

Even though each generation has different characteristics and not every person in each generation will have the same characteristics. It's good to identify some generalities. Thanks!

Sign In to comment