Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology

Many instructors are afraid of using technology for instruction.  I find that students are more responsive when you use technology such as text messages and blogs.  What are you finding in your instructions?

Hi Cristy,

I tend to feel the same, however, what I've noticed is that perhaps the biggest challenge in integrating technology or even just tecn means of communicating such as texting is having student participation be intrinsic in nature. Especially with things like discussion boards or online journals, etc. I've really begun to question the value and effectiveness in venues such as discussion boards. More often than not I feel students view it as busy work with little to gain.

Any thoughts?

Bill

Hi Bill and Cristy,

I have noticed that if a student feels as though another participant has already stated their thoughts or ideas, then it is not worth their time to make a post in a discussion forum. And it also is true if no one has posted, students do not want to be the first to put their ideas out there. There seems to be a fear factor of 'what other people might think'. As much as we may think this is not true, it plays a HUGE factor in student participation. I know when I took online classes and the first person posted, if I realized my answer was different then I waited for others to post thinking that I was way off base.

Fear plays a large part in participation whether it be online or F2F.

Mary

Hey Christy,

I too find that most of my students, and around 90%, communicate with me through text. Email as well has been a great tool, but many are not around the email or have not set it up on thier phone to have an immediate response. Now with Ipads and ebooks being introduced into the education world, there are so many possiblities to communicate on different levels, pictures, questions, funny stories even.

Education can evolve and in evolving means to gradually grow with in itself to a higher power!

Samantha S Schultz

I've found my bigggest challenge isn't the technology. It's getting the students to respond. It doesn't matter if I leave a message on the discussion board, send an email or do a chat session. They never respond.

Sign In to comment