Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Shying Away from Portfolios and Projects

I have taught online classes where students prepared marketing and business plans. Each week, they would prepare different portions of the plans, and each week I made individual and thorough comments regarding such, and checked the following week to see if my corrections and comments were incorporated in the plan. Very time consuming. Therefore, I can see why instructors shy away from portfolios and projects.

At the core, which is best for the learner? In some cases, projects are needed for deliverables that match that in the real world.

This I think is a valid take on this topic. Not only should instructors work to achieve the most effective results for the students, but must also place a value on their time in delivering these results.

I completely agree. I am currently enrolled in an online graduate program that utilizes this process. As a student, it is not only cumbersome, but time consuming. The project calls for a minimum of 15 peer-reviewed articles. The information is so detailed. I wonder how the Instructor gets her grading done with approximately 20 of us in the course. I have stayed up many nights till 3 a.m. working on this project. I understand the sacrifice, and I understand the desire for a rigorous program, but there is a point where it becomes borderline abuse, I feel. I would much rather come up with detailed lesson plans, research on educational trends, training guides, or even screencasts versus the project. I believe there is a need to revisit this type of approach. Thanks for allowing me to share (and vent simultaneously).

Stacie,
This is very true and actually, nothing close would likely be expected from an on ground group. I also think the grading of such a workload would take forever . I think even with online, we need to have more synchronous exchanges and work integrated into the courses. It is always important to "work ideas" in the public space of peers as well as having self study times for reflection and response.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment