Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology moving forward

Technology is moving at an astonishing pace. We no longer rely on the old or out dated technology such as dialing phones or dictionaries. We use to have rotary phones and our minds were sharper and could hold a multitude of numbers. Today the cell phones provide voice dialing were you don't need to recall any numbers just names. As for as spelling goes some of the new generation kids do not remember the spelling rules, they just depend on spell check and will not pick up a dictionary for the life of them. Technology is moving but we must also move with it and we have to mainly move from the basic; Yes, a fundamental foundation is still key…, the expansion…and then from there just try to keep up!!!!!

I think technology is keeping us - educators - on our toes. We need to take advantage of all the wonderful opportunities it offers to maximize the educational benefits for the students. We have so many more ways to engage to make learning more of an interactive process, ultimately increasing student motivation. Exciting!

Excellent thoughts, Natalie and Agnes! I agree: these days technology is moving fast. While all the technological advances can be wonderful, the importance of copyright remains more essential than ever. The development of online courses really needs to pay close attentioin to copyright guidelines. Clark, Mulligan, and Baba (2011) emphasize the detail in creating online courses. Thank you for sharing. 

Heidi

Reference

Clark, G.T., Mulligan, R., and Baba, K. (2011). Developing and providing an online (web-based) clinical research design course in Japan: lessons learned. J. Prosthodont Res. 55(2):61-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jpor.2011.01.004. Epub 2011 Feb 24.

Hi Heidi,

Technology is a pace setter. We have to be broad minded and step back to make sure it is the best tool for learning. When pagers first emerged, I looked at it as a teen thing. I soon found myself using a pager for communication to my teenage daughter. Then cell phones took over. I often said, "If they really want to talk to me, they will call when I am home". Now, I will not leave the house without my cell phone. Then Ipads, skype, facebook, and on and on...I find when students surf the internet they can easily get on another tandem, as I do. When I ask a student a specific question and they know I am waiting for an answer, they are prompt with providing feedback. I think there is a place for new advancing technology, but teachers should set the guidelines how to use them.

Thanks,

Dr. Ferrier

Sign In to comment