Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Terry,
Good question!! :) Yes, I agree, I have used blended for many years and have found it to be very successful.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Because the industrythat we train for is using a blended teaching method. I think that we HAVE to use this method to beteer prepare our students for thier careers. We certainly wouldn't want to teach steam engines to an automotive technician who works on hybrid technology.

Blended learning includes various methods of delivery. I think it will be helpful because it gives different avenues for a student to be successful. It is not just one learning style. It is multiple. It will be more beneficial for the student.

To find out what works and what dont.Some can be taught by the book but most of us in this field have to have our hands on what we are learning about before it sinks in. That is what generally seals the deal for you to know that you got in to them what they needed to understand. It reinforces the lecture as well. It is very hard to make sure that you did not leave someone behind so you have to make sure that they got the material and that is to have them show you they got it.

Thanks
Audie Toney
ttl35
Avondale Az.

we all try to use each different teaching style daily lecturing- writing on the white board - showing and use of cutaway demo- computer or web learing- and hands on in the lab maybe with a demonstration if necessary. also observing a event being done by a student.

james ,
Your approach sounds both diverse and innovative...great!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

By using class discussions, group activities, individual activities, and online activities we should cover pretty much all learning styles. The learning process of every student is different, and by changing the delivery method I feel we can enhance the learning process. By customizing a learning environment to our generation method of learning by using technology as a resource will further engage the student in learning. By using all these methods along with instructional support will be most effective for a productive learning environment.

the blended learning process will open itself up to many styles of learning because the student will get exactly what his or her learning style needs. with the computer based and hands on training.

Keith,

Yes the potential is there but only if the instructional design and teacher role is conducive to the delivery.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The blended learning concept provides the student with various ways to comprehend the material. The online portion gives the visual learner an advantage with video clips and animations to help understand complex theories, component function and system interaction. The auditory learner is more comfortable in a traditional classroom environment where they can listen to the instructor deliver the material. Both benefit with a review of the online course and the instructor can fill in any gaps the students may have. The kinesthetic learner thrives in a lab hands on situation where they can learn by doing. If you blend all these together it gives the students a multitude of opportunities to understand the subject matter.

It should help in student understanding of more abstract ideas and concepts.

Steven,
Can you be more specific? Do you mean the design of the instruction or the use of technology?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I learned about styles I already knew, but learned about some I did not know. I will be able to better understand future students in the future. I use the audio visual question and answer learning experience. I draw on white board, explain what is on board, then ask numerous questions until all styles have been heard.Then there is the student that says nothing, I will call on that student to identify his or her style.

I agree with the blended learning to a point. The problem is there is only so much you can do with the intelligence of one individual. Some will never grasp the concept no matter how many different ways you explain it or what materials you put in front of them, at a desk or computor. They need the hands on . With a class size of 30 students 90% are hands on learners. Yes they can customize their learning ability to the blended learning. Again there is nothing like one on one with Hands On Training face to face.We are educators that are getting are students ready to jump into a career in the Automotive Industry.To a certain degree they need to conform to our way of teaching.We know how the real world is out there, based off of that we give them the the best knowledge that money can buy,not what a computor tells them.

james,

Yes, the overall goal is that students can understand their own learning style/perference and continue to learn accordingly...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Michael,
I would suggest that blended provides both - it cretainly does not cancel hands on for those students and disciplines that require it. Nevertheless, it does also help build learner autonomy as well...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

We must utilize different blended delivery methods to get the information across to the students. However with students today there seem to be way too many to cater to in the time frame we have,maybe it is the type of learning they received in high school or where ever but it make us utilize Blended Delivery.Some students have to retake the course to fully understand the material, no matter what method you use.

Milton,
Yes, true, therefore the instructional design should be flexible enough for student diverse needs.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Blended learning will help address all the different learning styles. Each student should be able to find a method that suits him or her best, and by breaking the material into different formats,it should not be a boring task for any particular group of learner.

I really like the blended learning style and how it includes all learning styles is great. it also helps to cross train leaners into a different way of learning. i.e., say we are doing a hands on lab, the kinestetic kids will help the auditory and visual learners to do the the tasks as coaches. then when it is web time or they have to hit the books, the roles get reversed. we also discuss learnings and how they have learned new concepts and skills.

Sign In to comment