Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Podcasts and Webinars

I found success this semester with assigning a podcast or webinar to participate in, and then we have a discussion in class about the topic. Additionally, I have asked students to find current events related to our topic and introduce their story in class. I found that the transition from outside (class) to inside was well received and enthusiactically supported.

I remind them that they are learning the skill of talking about our dynamic industry and using terms they will use when they engage colleagues or potential employers. The presentation helps to facilitate the aformentioned future experiences.

I would be happy to hear of other variances of this type of process. If it helps, I teach Digital Investigations / Computer Forensics courses.

Aaron,

Excellent!! Yes, I hope others share similar uses...
Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think this is a great idea! I haven't personally tried this manner of instruction although i had a webinar that we insructors had to take at school. I believe with 30 years behind the chair, partly disabled me from taking in all that I should have. I'm very much a visual learner myself. I should learn much more about this style of teaching and incorporate that in my class. This was a good module for me to choose.

shanon,
Excellent! Think through the design and then the technology so that the outcomes are achieved. Good luck...I'd love to hear in the MaxKnowledge Faculty Lounge how things work out.
-Ruth

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I use webinars quite a bit to teach teachers on various topics. The teachers I work with are geographically dipsersed so it is not economically feasible to meet-face-to-face. The webinar provides for sharing of both voice communication and written documents. However, one of the drawbacks is the technology itslef when there are times where you lose your phone or internet connection.

I like this idea; there seems to be many ways to use these. Either as discussions, as homework etc. It seems to me that even students that can't log in at the set webinar time can benefit by having the flexibility to not only log in later to a recorded webinar, they will also benefit from the ability to re-watch a recorded webinar.

Something that I just started using this term and it has worked extremely well is to have students make their own podcast, and I grade their efforts. To do this, have student open a free account on freeconferencecalls.com In my class, they interview a student for a job, and then switch roles so each gets to be the hiring manager and the applicant. They start the conference call, record it, and the website converts their recording into a podcast with a link which they email to me. I then grade their efforts after hearing the podcast. They really enjoyed this, and now I'm looking for other ways to use the student led podcast - any ideas?

Patricia,
This would make a great paper for publication! Great ideas...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I have found success in having students create podcasts. They are excited to learn something new and incorporate with skill sets that have already acquired.

I have been tempted to create podcasts of my own for students to review. Maybe I will do that during winter break.....

Denise,
Yes, great idea. New social media tools support the production and distribution of podcasts as well.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

In addition to the recorded webinar having multiple benefits, I like looking into other credible resources of online instruction that can supplement my course material - TED Talks comes to mind. There are also some other useful YouTube or Vimeo videos that can be utilized, but I like to go through them all first and ensure that I know what the videos / webinars are teaching.

Any one have other resources they like to use?

Nathan,
Good ideas - thank you for sharing.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment