Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using SKYPE or iChat Video for Online Learning

It was assumed that "face to face" might not be part of the online learning format. Not anymore! I believe any class can easily facilitate video conferencing with today's streaming capabilities.
Synchronized chat can be achieved through a variety of web based programs, and the online class environment could conceivably be almost identical to the "on the ground instructor led learning."
Soon we'll all be able to put on 'goggles' and be virtually placed into the online classroom.... which will save a whole lot of gas and parking fees!

Also check out dimdim.com!

Jon

Thanks -- that's exciting!

I have to do 2 "office hours" per week where I usually need to be online so that students can speak to me in real time by initiating a chat with me through a chat window. I started launching Skype during my office hours and informed my students. So now, some of them contact me during my office hours with Skype. Often, something can be answered or resolved through a short conversation that would take longer to type out in chat. Students also like to be able to speak with me, as they only an type in the live chats.

I am curious if anyone else has found Skype to be a good addition to their online instruction model, especially if there is not a lot of synchronous sessions for their online classes.

With regards to the comment you made Joshua, about virtually placed classrooms, have you seen the educational classes several schools support in virtual environments like Second Life? (secondlife.com)

Kelly,

It actually works pretty well - I prefer Elluminate or DimDim, but you can still do 90% of what you want.

Jon

Kerstin

Skype works well, but you may also want to look at dimdim.com

Best,

Jon

Joshua:

I have used Skype and Calliflower. We have chat rooms within each course and know that several instructors will use the Chat rooms to meet with a student who is having difficulty as well as hold office hours in an Online environment.

I also like software like Tegrity that allows one to pre-record lectures that students can then download to their I-pods or other various MP3 format to watch and/or listen when it is convenient for them.

Kim

My daughter is spending her junior year abroad, and my husband uses skype frequently to talk to relatives abroad - for these purposes I think skype is incredible - especially the cost is "free"; however, none of us consistently get good reception - some days are better than others.

So my response to your curiosity about "Skype to be a good addition to their online instruction model" is difficult to make . . . personally I think it would be unreliable in a more professional environment.

What have others found?

Leslie,

It depends on the use - I am comfortable using it for small groups, but for lectures I would use something else (dimdim.com, Wimba, Elluminate, etc...)

Best,

Jon

Great examples - I'll have to check out Calliflower. - Jon

So true! I attended a seminar on e-learning and the faciliator created her own Avatar to appear in her class! It would talk to the students and give weekly announcements.

Sherry,

Interesting! There are also some interesting uses of second-life online as well (http://www.sloodle.org/moodle/), but I'm not sure it it meets the cost/benefit test.

Best,

Jon

I have fellow colleagues who use Skype and/or Yahoo IM to facilitate office hours. Alike a physical time and place for office hours not many people show up. Yet I believe that making this aspect available for the students is very valuable for those who use it and not very demanding on the instructor who might be multi-tasking on something else during that time.

John,

Good point - it will depend on the type of student and their expectations.

Jon

We definitely live in exciting times. I look forward to the day when we can all truly share the whole package face to face online debating, gathering together diverse global expertise from anywhere, and student interaction face to face for structured learning activities.

Gregory,

Synchronous tools are great, and can really help in situations where concepts need explanation or discussion.

Thanks,

Jon

I concur with Josh. The content of this module seems to make assumptions based on 1995 technology. I think today's student will have higher real-time interactivity expectations in an online format, given the abundance of real-time video options available. Indeed, the new iPhones have a 2nd camera on the front with the intent of facilitating video conferencing. I believe online educators can't allow themselves to sleep on emerging trends in technology.

Furthermore, some people just don't write well. Real-time video enables one to experience the non-verbal cues that can inform and enhance communication.

That said, I believe asynchronous communication still has tremendous value. It forces students to take time to process information, and articulate ideas in the written form. Hopefully the art of the written word will endure whatever technological shifts are forthcoming.

Skype and iChat for online learning are great tools to foster real time interaction. Another is Vyew. I like the fact that along with conferencing, you can create "workbooks" for future reference. Dim Dim is good too.

Dan,

I completely agree - some students really gravitate to these technologies, and 5 minutes in Chat is easier than 5 emails back and forth.

Best,

Jon

I think this is a great idea. I am curious to how the students react. I have trouble getting students to show up in the chat room during "office hours".

Sign In to comment