Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with the advantages, like the 5 minute chat communicating more in less time that 5 emails. But, email allows both students and faculty to communicate according to their schedule, not being committed to a certain time. I think this flexibility is very attractive for the online student as they balance school, work and family.

WoW! Thanks! DimDim does not require having a skype account. Skype is great but I have students who do not have or want a skype account. It seems like dimdim is easier for the student.

In regards to the original post: The main issue I have found for using skype for online courses is that many students having issues with setting up and using video and audio. Some do not have cams or mics. So technical knowledge and access may create an issue if video/audio chat is required.

Yes, I believe that they can be identical as well and think that this should be implemented into all online classes. I'm still a strong believer in seeing people and this would involve less typing as well and may even help with group projects.

Oh yes....there are many programs out there...webinars included!

I have used Skype and go to meeting with students to discuss assignments. in some instances I have used team viewer to log into their system to show them how to do something in Excel, Sometimes I just observe what they are doing and point out better ways to do things

what are some reasons to use dim dim compared to using Skype. I have not tried using dimdim

tom,
Teaching students to use Skype and Gotomeeting also teaches them a concept that they can use in other parts of their lives.

Shelly Crider

tom,
I am anxious to see this coverstaion! I have not yet used dimdim myself!

Shelly Crider

dimdim is no longer free. Mikogo may be something to review and try.

Dan

Writing is still a necessity and in all the colleges where I teach I do not see a shift from this. In many of the different types of business where I consult I do not see a shift from writing.

Many places are not migrating to the new technologies because of the costs of resources and licenses. For example, I purchased a Window 8 laptop, 64 bit 6 gig memory. It is a nice machine however I still have to upgrade all of different applications I use which is going to cost me over $1000 for one suite and another 300 or 400 for yet another application. Neither of there were office 2010.

I agree Jon that it would depend on the the use. I think goToTraining (http://www.gotomeeting.com/fec/training/online_training) could be a good option for "lecture-style" content. It is based on the goToMeeting platform, which most people are familiar with for doing webinars. It can also include interactive features like quizzes and polls. This is a pretty decent synchronous option that is likely to be more dependable than Skype.

For an asynchronous method to "add a face" to the class, I would recommend VoiceThread (www.voicethread.com). This allows students to use video, audio, or text to participate in the discussion while making the experience more personal.

Dan,

That is a very important observation that you have made regarding the cognitive processes that occur when students have to take time to think about their responses. I think that the quality of the responses is also improved. Finally, my experience has been that responses may be less reactive and more thoughtful.

Sign In to comment