Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hello Daniel,
There are many LMS interfaces which can automatically check a student's submission for "originality". Depending on the LMS, this may included a submitted assignment (or attachment) as well as a discussion board post.

Often, these are displayed as color-coded percentages for the instructor. So, identifying at least one form of "cheating" may be easier in an online environment. However, what are we to do about it?

Often, it can be a learning experience for a student; they simply don't understand the citing/quotation rules. This does not excuse the behavior but understanding the intent can provide the basis for a learning moment! =)

cheers, mj

I agree. Students who are looking to be deceptive will do so no matter what.

Absolutely!!!! I think this can occur MORE within the online environment in some cases than a ground school. The discussion boards are one area where you can see a certain level of plagiarism occur quite frequently and it must be monitored and when necessary curtailed.

Shelly,

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss this important topic. Although it is true that students may cheat in both traditional and online classes, that is not a reason to not be concerned about cheating. We as instructors should always be on the lookout for cheating. In my time as an instructor, I have run across several instances of plagiarism. Sometimes I think that the student doesn't actually realize that what they are doing is actually considered cheating. Addressing the situation can be a learning experience for everyone involved.

- Hannah

Thomas ,
I have had that issue too. You would think that a discussion area would truly be easy enough to complete on your own, but I have had plagiarism issues here as well!

Shelly Crider

Hannah,
Good point on being a learning experience for everyone involved!

Shelly Crider

Hi Shelly. I think that before I can conscientiously respond to this question I need to understand your definition of cheating.

Our school is deeply invested in creating a safe and stimulating learning environment for our students. Having discovered that so many people suffer from evaluation/test anxiety we have changed the way in which we administer exams.

We now allow our students to work in groups, to discuss the questions and to collectively decide on the answers. We have found this to meet our academic expectations and both increase our students curiosity about the material and their ability to retain what they what they have learned. By-the-way, I am speaking of an in-class environment.

We should always be concerned with cheating. It will happen regardless online and in the classroom, however, you hope that by emphasizing the importance of honest because if the situation being 'online' that it will instill the moral and ethical values that we place on ourselves to apply in the real world.

Of course we should be concerned, it will happen regardless in either a real class or on line. However, to emphasize that each student needs to take ownership of their actions supports moral and ethical values that are used everyday in real life.

Laurie,
Oh I like this! Students do have test anxiety and maybe this is why we have cheating. I like the alternate "testing". I am a believer in getting the knowledge to the student through means that will really stick.

Shelly Crider

Abby,
The knowledge received in college does have to show in the real world, so let's hope students realize this.

Shelly Crider

I certainly agree that cheating can occur in an online classroom just as it can in a traditional classroom setting. However, this does not mean it should be ignored. Academic integrity is an important aspect of any learning environment. There are tools available to help the instructor detect (if neccessary) if a student has submitted work that is not original, such as Turnitin. The key point is that an online class is not any more prone to cheating than a traditional classroom setting.

Cheating is cheating and should be guarded against with the same or even more vigilance in an online setting than in a face-to-face classroom. Shelly's point of being an active participant in conversations with students on forums and discussion parts is particularly valid because it gets to the idea of instructor engagement. An instructor who is truly engaged with their students will being to understand them better and will be able to anticipate each student's proficiency at a specific task. If a student that has never particularly excelled at grammar in discussion threads suddenly turns in an impeccably proofread essay, I would be inclined to do a plagiarism check.

This type of active instructor engagement will also help create a culture in the class where cheating is looked down upon. Cheating becomes less a question of whether or not I'll be caught and more a moral decision where the student takes into account their active professional relationship with an instructor that they may never have met.

We should be concerned about cheating in both environments. Cheating is becoming more wide spread. The students are only cheating themselves out of learning for themselves. There are ways of checking for cheating in both types of classes.

Cheating occurs in any learning environment. Instructors should be concerned about cheating in both online and face-to-face classrooms. Regardless of the delivery method instructors have a responsibility to ensure academic integrity is maintained and learning objectives are met.

NO! Cheating is Cheating and it's no right. You get nothing from it and is a reflection of poor decision. Need to be discouraged and systems need to be in place to ensure we keep out students as honest as possible.
Just the other day I was read a crag list ad for some that was looking for an individual to do their online course because they were working too hard. I couldn't believe the nerve of this person to actually adversities for a cheater.

Shlomo,
Cheating is cheating no matter where you are!

Shelly Crider

Adam,
Thank you for agreeing with the active participant in discussions. You can really learn a lot about your students!

Shelly Crider

Marilyn ,
Cheating is just irritating to me! I know it happens, but just irritates me!

Shelly Crider

Jennifer,
Cheaters continue to cheat into their job as well!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment