Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think in a group project they should evaluate each other because we as the instructors can not always see what they are all doing to create the final product.

Good point - this is the only time I use critiques that count towards a grade. - Jon

Lisa,

I agree that students should not be harsh in submitting their comments to and about the work of their peers.

I support strict guidelines for the process with examples and training provided by the instructor on the appropriate way to critique.

Any criticism should be a constructive one with one or more suggestions offered for improvement.

Barbara Bray

Do you feel students read directions?

I think it's good for students to critique each others' work (and their own too), as long as the criticism is constructive and appropriate. This shows that students are putting more thought and effort into the evaluation of each others' work, and that they are applying the concepts of what they learned.

Good point....constructive and appropriate criticism is always a learning experience.

Critiquing someone else's work is a valuable learning experience. The students who are being critiqued receive valuable feedback. But perhaps even more importantly, the students are better able to identify their own mistakes after critiquing someone else.

However, you have to teach the students how to critique appropriately and provide the appropriate resources or you cannot expect them to do a good job and learn from the experience.

My experience has been that student critiques work best on low stakes activities, or on "rough draft" style assignments.

That is very true. Students look for content or grammar, but perhaps not both.

I agree student should not critigue one another because this might cause students not to want to post or take part in a chat.

I have thought about using technique by telling students they must post a pro or con of a particular subject and then challenge another posts pro or con.

Ron,
Interesting concept! I like making students do both sides of the fence. Opens their minds!

Shelly Crider

As an English instructor I must say I completely disagree with having students peer edit or critique one another.
First, the students are not English instructors. They will correct items which do not require correction and miss those items which do require correction.
Additionally, what training in assessment has the student received. I had to take graduate level classes in assessment in order to receive a teaching certificate.
Furthermore, it is quite possibly a violation of FERPA to have a student evaluate another student.
Students need to concentrate on evaluation of their own skills and knowledge.
On the first day of English class I tell my students they will not be peer editing. I ask my medical students if they would want me to give them a shot, even though I have zero medical training. The answer is always no. In the same respect they do not like the idea of paying for a professional to teach them and receiving a "student" teacher. My students are always happy to know I will be doing my job, and they will be doing theirs. :)

Debra:

Good points. However, students who are able to critique peer posts can learn from this exercise. They may be able to delve into a peer comment and recognize validity and areas of improvement. If there are adequate and appropriate ground rules for the process, this may be a valuable learning opportunity. I always stress that feedback should be non-personal and be offered as critiques instead of criticism. I urge students to review the objectives of the assignment and provide relevant and insightful feedback that recognizes contributions and suggestions for an additional value-add.

Suzanne

Feedback/critiquing is important from peers as much as the instructors. Sometimes students can be more open to their peers feedback than that of the actual instructor.

Ramondo,
Students will learn from each other doing this as well.

Shelly Crider

Although synchronous discussions are harder to logisticise, there are irreplaceable elements present only in real time. Mainly, excitement and brainstorming. Many equivalent to say, performing a piece of music as a group is rewarding in a different way than recording tracks separately.

Dean ,
Brainstorming is an excellent form of synchronous discussions.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment