Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students at times are intimidated to critique other students work in a forum that will eventually be reciprocated. Many students that I have seen will response with a positive statement and no real opinion on the subject or assignment.

Olga:
Any suggestions on how to encourage students to participate in the online peer evaluation? Please share with us.
Satrohan

I think students should be able to comment on each other's work/answers. However, I don't think they should be harsh about it. I guess what I'm saying is that if they don't have anything good to say about the answer, don't comment on it.

Lisa:
Comments can be either good or bad. We learn from others pointing out weaknesses; however, not all students are adept in using tact when they comment on weaknesses. All students are not versed in composing constructive criticism. The best thing is to provide a Rubric to guide the peer evaluation.
Satrohan

I don't feel that chat rooms are the place to critique others. I agree with others that chat rooms are beneficial in pulling from everyone else's knowledge and helping someone to "think outside the box". In our classroom environments, critiquing is done in writing on an evaluation sheet and there is a set criteria of what they would be looking for. This benefits our students without the student feeling that they are being picked on. The same could be used online.

Suzanne:
I agree that Chat sessions are unsuitable for peer evaluation; the Discussion forum ismore suitable for that activity. I am interested in the statement you made in your second sentence about helping someone to "think outside the box". Please share with us an example of how you see that happening.
Satrohan

In all of our programs, we help students learn to find creative ways of solving problems. Rather than using the same old same old ways that they know or learn from a book, we ask students to think beyond the base knowledge that they have and find more creative ways of thinking. For some students this is a real challenge. Students can get wrapped up in the "what can't be done" rather than the "what can be done.Our Special Education Teacher Assistant students are the type of students that need to be able to look at other ways beyond the "norm" to help students reach their full potential. So we challenge the norm and think "outside the box" and ask "what if?"

Thank you kindly for Sharing the explanation with us. Suzanne, I agree with the concept of creative thinking. Almost twenty years ago, I read a Setion in an academic text. I believe the title was Algorithms and Heuristics in Education------a collection of articles from Educators. Lev Landa was the author of the section to which I am referring. The title of the section was "Children must be taught to think".
Satrohan

Peer evaluation is one of the most dangerous tools available. It's wonderful when the evaluations are constructive. But that isn't enough. It has to be welcomed by the party who is being evaluated.

You must have both, and that is hard to do on a consistent basis.

On the other hand, you must expect peer evaluation during group projects. On a group project, they must work together, and therefore, must evaluate themselves and their work.

At all other times, I believe they should focus more on self-evaluation.

Stephen:
Peer evaluation can indeed be dangerous if it is not managed properly. It can lead to defensive behavior which can result in chaos as even attrition. Constructive peer evaluation can be achieved by using a Rubric to guide the evaluation.
Satrohan

I believe in cronstructive critiques, it teaches one to look at something from another point of view and learn to take from critiques both the good and the bad - what to use and what to put on the backburner. It is when personal opinion and sensitivity come into play, I think its a good idea to get someone's elses point of view but not when it can hurt or demean someone who's in the same boat you are as a student, the final critique should be from the instructor and with the most weight on that persons work.

I believe the critique should be moderated first before the critiques by students are posted.

Lucy,

Good thought - at the least students should have some guidelines on how to do critiques before they begin.

Thanks,

Jon

I agree a contructive critique from students it lets them see another point of view and learn to accept critique, good or bad. You will have the occasional student who is intimidated to critique in class, but online this helps them to brake out of there shell..

Yes, students should critique one another, given specific guidelines to follow. My students evaluate one another's research papers using a Peer Evaluation Form. They initially resist doing this, thinking this activity is "the instructor's job," but after they have gone through the experience, they find that they have learned a great deal about putting together an effective essay by looking at the work of another student writer. Most of my students comment about the experience the week after they have completed their peer evaluations, excited about having learned more about analysis and providing feedback to others. They find that looking for thesis statements, topic sentences, and a coherent argument in another person's paper strengthens their ability to spot flaws in their own essays. Most students find peer evaluation to be a rewarding experience.

I have to agree with your thoughts Susan. I have used students critiques whenever I have a group project, in writing assignment, and group discussion when a student is asked to post the thesis statement they will be using in a term paper. As long as the instructor has tutored students on the correct way to make suggestions (rubrics, examples, and some basoc rules on etiquette), the exercises are extremely benefical to the students being critiqued and the person doing it. Students tend to feel uncomfortable with many new things they are asked to do in college classes; but once they have practiced the new skill, they recognize how this has helped them grow in several ways. Learning to properly critique another's work is a valuable tool for them to take to the workforce.

Laura,

I'd only recommend this if students are working from a template or rubric - otherwise its hard for them to know how "critical" to be.

Jon

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

I believe that we can all critique each other as long as some simplle rules are followed. First we should always give both a positive and a negative comment to someone we are speaking to in this fashion. Second I think that the person who is being critiqued must understand that what they are receiving is another persons perception and it is not a personal judgement against them. Then both parties can learn from the process.

Byron,

I agree, but it would be important to cover this up-front to make sure feedback is constructive!

Best,

Jon

Sign In to comment