Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do you feel gamification can add value in on-line learning?

Gamification (the application of game-design thinking to non-game applications to make them fun and engaging) is becoming increasingly popular as a marketing and promotions tool. Do you feel gamification could add value to on-line learning?

Jeanne,
I think there are classes out there already doing this. We do have to be careful how much "fun time" we add to the class. Bottom line is information needs transferred. What is the best way? Depends on your audience! This could change as the term changes.

Shelly Crider

There are certain characteristics of online gaming that may be useful to online instruction. For example, crisis management skills and decision making scenarios. Presentation and organization of the scenarios would be critical.

Jacob,
I agree. There are ways to "teach" crisis management and critical thinking in a "fun" setting.

Shelly Crider

A few years ago I would have unequivocally blurted out, No! However, now I most emphatically say, Yes! There is a very important part of adding visual "gaming" to an online course because it is interaction that supports a multi-sensory learning environment. In particular, students who have grown up watching and participating in gaming venues at a very early age will be already familiar with this enticing visual stimulation.

Gaming as a learning strategy in an online environment can provide for situations that can mimic real world situations that would otherwise not be available.

Besides, gaming can be fun, and fun and play are important components of the learning process. When learning includes playful activities, the imagination is engaged, problem solving skills are enhanced and retention is reinforced (n.a., 2006-1013). How many of us learned how to sing-song our ABC's, playing games to help us remember important information!

n.a. (2006-1013). Learning and play. Retrieved from http://www.education.com/topic/child-play-importance/

Nancy,
Thank you for the link! I like adding to my resources as we all should! This way we can mix up our classes!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment