Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I would try and add some YouTube videos related to the topic being learned.

Absolutely! Learning about the body can be enhanced with visuals!

Stephen,
It seems your question hasn't received any attention. I use as many different forms of media as possible in any presentation I develop, but I will not use any media (videos, graphics or audio) that I have not produced myself, procured a license for or have written permission from the copyright holder. You may never get caught using someone's YouTube video. You may never receive a Cease and Desist Order from an attorney, but if you do, it is a reflection on the institution that you represent. And that can have most unfortunate outcomes.

I think including topical information that is current and appropriate is beneficial in the class room. YouTube provides a wealth of information so does Ted Talks. TedTalks can be long and boring and YouTube can also provide inaccurate or inappropriate information. Again, both are beneficiall with disclipline and a quick pre-view to ensure consistency with course objectives.

Rebekah,
You are so right. I was just telling a friend today to check out YouTube to get some tutorial help for her daughter who needs a bit of help in Algebra!

Shelly Crider

I have found that adding audio to PowerPoints is very effective. I also like to use MP3 music files, and "polls," which are "live" questions that students who are participating in a synchronous Live Chat can answer. For example, I might ask them an ice breaker question, such as "what is your favorite color," and use a poll to have four different answers. I will then move to more relevant topics for the current class discussion.

Amy,
It does seem that students like to respond to polls....but not so much surveys!

Shelly Crider

Audio will enhance the presentation; it reached out the auditory learners. Note, however, that it does make your presentation file bigger and not so easy to distribute after the presentation.

All of this features are great in any presentation, Amy. Students love interactive presentation.

Racquel ,
Some students will not be able to view due to the speed of their own computer. Good point!

Shelly Crider

Cindy I agreed with your comments, students get bored easily, especially the younger generation that have,"been there done that".
I like to include hyperlinks to certain survey sites to engage student's attention regarding current lecture material. For example I was presenting an STD power point. I included a hyperlink to a site that tested the students overall knowledge on the topic which was compared to others that had taken the survey. Everyone responded enthusiastically.

Lou,

I completely agree, I've taught courses and taken courses and I've been most impressed when classes have a combination of PPT that I read, PPT with audio, some youtube clips and interestingly enough I enjoyed one class in which there were games. One game in the middle of the material was a hang man game in which key words from the class were the answers. It helped break up the material for a little "fun". I think the variety is good and taking classes and seeing what I enjoyed or found boring has helped me as an instructor.

Jodi

Sign In to comment