Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting The Right Tone -

I am Program Chair for a new Program. Hospitality and Restaurant Management (HRM) My goal is to “set the right tone” early in the course so students know what to expect and get a feel that they are supported.

To do this we have created a intro class that will discuss strategies for online learning. We have grated a “training room” that contains an orientation, resources, and a profile of the Online Team.

What else can we be doing to set the tone and give the message to students that they need to meet expectations and that they have a variety of resources available to them?

I am currently an online instructor in a Therapeutic Massage program. Yes, you read that right - online massage. I teach the theory and clinical part of the course online.

One way that we use to let the students know that they are supported and accountable, is to call them to introduce ourselves over the phone. Each week, we call or email the students to let them know that we are paying attention to them on an individual basis.

This technique has a few benefits. First, the student feels a connection to a voice, (which in the virtual world equates with a human being). Once this connection is made, the student may be more likely to be accountable for the requirements of the course, because they know that someone will be calling and following up with them.

Secondly, the misconceptions that sometimes occur because of the lack of intonation in the electronic word, can be avoided because each party is hearing the other's words and inflection. Additionally, there is no delay in response when a question is asked or a comment is made.

Many times my students have told my how much they have appreciated being able to ask me for clarification about their assignments or the concepts covered during the week during our weekly calls. Without these follow up calls, I believe that there would be a huge gap in rapport between myself and my students.

When establishing the boundaries of the instructor/student relationship, I believe that these types of brief, personalized communications are a very effective way to set the tone for the module.

Susanna,

That's really interesting - thanks for sharing!

Jon

David,

Interesting question - I think its a combination of many factors like clean and early communication, clear grading criteria and easy access to training.

Best,

Jon

I think that the intro class is a very good idea for your online students. At AIU, I teach UNIV courses. This course is designed to help new online students get adjusted to the expectations of online learning. Therefore, I agree that preparing your H&RM students early on in their program for success is beneficial to them in the long run.

Adib Shakir

I agree that a clear grading rubric is essential for online students. Often times, this is the roadmap for them to see what they need to do earn that A for the assignment.

You have some really techniques that you use with your students.

Adib,

Great point on the importance of design in orientation and early courses. When students are just getting used to online, the ease of navigation is critical.

Thanks,

Jon

Sign In to comment