Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online environment and ability to maintain academic integrity

I believe that there is a great deal of concern from those outside the distance learning environment - thinking that the online environment may not be able to provide that same level of academic integrity.

I think that is a false thought and perhaps a scatoma on the part of instructors/facilitators.

What online or distance learning challenges us to do in regards to the classroom and providing integrity - is that WE have to provide the "service" to students - it will just look a little different than it does in the classroom.

Toni

Toni,

Interesting, we can also use different tools for assessments that may be easier to track dishonesty.

Jon

I took and completed 18 hours of doctoral work at a traditional brick-and-mortar state university. Because of moving across country and not being "settled" I decided to enroll in an online university to complete the doctoral degree. I, too, thought about what the perception of online learning may be. However I found that the courses were just as rigorous and that just like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

Will,

I feel the same way - I think more has to do with the person, and the effort they put into it.

Best,

Jon

Will,

I agree. I completed my M.Ed online and currently teach online, and am working with an online design team, creating materials and assessments. I feel as though the type of assessment used--mostly written work--provides a more in-depth application of the materials and forces the student beyond just memorizing facts for exams. The students in online degree programs will only succeed if they are self-motivated and disciplined; as an employer, these qualities are quite desirable.
Carolyn

Computers and the internet have opened up so many doors for learning. The amount of information that everyone can access is insane. The job of a teacher is to organize and present this information regardless of the environment. It is still the same information, it just maybe presented and displayed in a different manor. Since every student is using a computer, you can take advantage of tools and software that traditional classrooms may not. This makes the potential for Online learning much greater.

Great points - thanks for sharing. - Jon

Sign In to comment