Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reservations

Being an adult learner, I have concerns of being a student that would be successful learning on-line.

I am attempted to step out of the box, technology dictates staying ahead of new methods of learning.

That's great - I'm glad you are trying! - Jon

My greatest challenge as an adult on-line learner was motivating myself to do the weekly assignments in a timely manner. My first thoughts were of how wonderful it would be dictating when I would be doing my lessons and having complete control over the process. I quickly found out I had to dig deep to find the motivation to keep going. But I did it and ended up with a BS in Health Care Management and the stamina to what I need to do when I need to do it.

I find that students who are returning - especially after years - from the workforce to complete a degree are often anxious when it comes to elearning. Many times, in these circumstances, it is beneficial to the student to employ on-ground tutoring until they getthe hang of things.

I agree, some students benefit from a hybrid approach at first. - Jon

Having the flexibility as an on-line student is wonderful. But as Mindy said, it took a lot for her to keep the motivation going.
I encourage students to make a study schedule before they start class and stick to it. Also, a very important role of the on-line instructor is to keep the motivation going. Positive feedback, kudos, posting positive affirmations, etc. can help lift a student's spirit.

Karen,

Great point - sometimes we assume our students are "self-motivated" - and we really shouldn't!

Best,

Jon

It can be difficult for adult learners because they have so much going on in their lives that school will take a back seat when things get tough. I remember being an online student and balancing the demands. I remind my students they need good time management.

Denise,

Great point - I sympathize!

Best,

Jon

Sign In to comment