Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree Angela. Online courses require self-discipline and a focused and committed learner, as well as a focused and committed instructor. Having taught most of my career in the classroom, I am finding it a very interesting transition to be extremely diligent about checking up with my on-line assignments. I find that I have to schedule myself, so that I don't forget. I imagine it is what my students do as well. When I briefly taught online about7 years ago, I was amazed at how much more work it required (from my students and from me as well). I was use to planning my class, showing up, teaching , and then asking questions at the end of the segments in the classroom, and then we moved on. I found that in my online classes, my students would often send emails with the same question over and over, concerning an assignment, homework, etc. I would really like to hear how some of you have dealt with this issue...it seemed like a lot of work to constantly send out email answers when in a class, once the question was asked and answered, we moved on to other topics....I am going to be entering into the online teaching environment again in a few weeks, so would love to know how you online instructors handle repetitative questions.

For the non-tradional students, they really appreciate the opportunity to read and study before they go into the discussion area and share their thoughts. They have been out of the classroom for some years and are afraid they will say something "dumb." I find that once they feel confident and comfortable in the class, they add experience and depth to many discussions.

I have had experience with several students who are not tech savy enough to really get full benefit from the online environment. I really think that students should have to pass a minimum skills test on the computer to be allowed to enroll in online classes. It does not take long to discover which students are facing real challenges in finding things, download and uploading lessons, and have the study skills necessary to succeed in this environment.

Billie,

Good idea, I've seen schools use tests, or at least agreements that students understand the technical minimums.

Jon

Billie,

I agree - students may be more likely to offer more and better interaction online.

Jon

Online classes are great for students with busy schedules, but that should not be the only factor in the decision to offer a student that option or for that student to pursue online learning. The online environment is student-centered instead of teacher-centered, which is what a lot of studnets are familiar with. A lot more responsibilitiy for learning is placed on the online student. This can allow for a richer experience if the assignments are more reflective and if the student devotes time and effort to the reflection.

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

Most definitely!! The online option is essential for some non-traditional students. The ability to "attend class" late in the evening or early morning hours is very important for already working students. The flexibility of the schedule is key for students with families.

As someone who has a degree from an online University; I feel that sometimes online courses can be harder than a classroom environment. This being due to the lack of Instructor and student interaction and the fact that the students do not communicate as much as they might in a class room setting. I do not consider them a bad resource or experience; I just feel that they can prove harder than a class room.

Sherry,

Great point - the flexibility is a requirement for some, and probably a benefit to all.

Best,

Jon

Bryon,

Interaction is definitely important, especially if that is your learning style. Online classrooms can be very interactive.

Best,

Jon

I completely agree with you. I am not a very tech savy person and wish that I would have been givena test or even a class o online courses. I am glad I took one even though I'm not tech savy because anything that you do outside the box is a great thing

There are many training sessions on technology on the web. Even Microsoft has free tutorials. Check some out for your benefit.

Hello Kelly,

Yes, online classes are perfect for those individuals with busy schedules and families. However, students have to make sure they take the time and effort to log into the classroom. As you may know, online learning requires students to be very self-directed, motivated, and at least have significant computer skills to complete an online course successfully. On the other hand, if a student is too busy and is not self-directed or motivated, by taking the time to engage in the course they will not be successful. Moreover, I have encountered students who were self-directed and motivated, but could not create a PowerPoint presentation or Excel spreadsheet required in a course assignment. I have also directed these students who are not computer savvy to contact our tutoring labs for computer, writing, PowerPoint, and Excel classes. Some students may take my advice, while other students may not take the time to take advantage of these additional tools due to time constraints and/or other obligations. Consequently, students’ taking online classes with busy schedules must demonstrate maturity, computer skills, motivation, time constraints, and the ability to be self-directive.

Take care...
Naomi

Hello Vicki,

I certainly understand how demanding teaching online can be to some individuals. However, I have been teaching online almost ten years now and the only way to manage is to check into your classroom on a daily basis. Sometimes I check into my classroom early in the morning, then again later on in the middle of the day or at night.

You will generally encounter students who may ask repetitive questions, and for them I direct them to my original response and ask them if they understood what I meant. This requires them to re-read my response and get back to me regarding what they did not understand. Therefore, this makes the student 1) seek my first response to them; 2) determined whether my reply answered their question, and 3) tell me if they understood my response and if they did not explain to me what they don't understand. Ultimately, students will figure out the above once they re-read my response or email and tell me what they don't understand. Does this make sense? Please let me know.

Take care...
Naomi

Sign In to comment