Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Text & Course Structure

How crucial is it to structure an online course to parallel the required text?

Stephanie:
Many Instructors strucutre their courses following this approach.The best reasons I can provide are:

A very high percentage of the instructional content is contained in the textbook.

They Instructor has adopted the same method of structuring the on-the-ground version of the course.

The Instructor has additional course materials from the Publisher to support this structure in an online environment.

If there is a one-to-one correspondence between the on-the-ground version of the course and the online version pof the course, then I would say that it is appropriate to structure the course in this manner. If there is not a one-to-one correspondence; then an Instructor must re-evaluate whether it is appropriate to structure the course according to the textbook.

Question for You.
Do you foresee any risks in structuring a course following this approach?
Satrohan

In my situation there is no on-the-ground course. It is strictly online, thus I am building the curriculum from allotted text & personal experience/knowledge. It seems to me that this may pose a risk for the learning outcomes if it does not follow a strict guideline.

Stephanie:
The Learning Outcomes must drive the content domain. Select from the text those protions that are relevant to learning outcomes being addessed. Fill in the remainder with your experience and knowledge. Students always expect to see the "Instructor Emerging" in the learning experience; else you are likely to receive the following feedback in your course evaluations.

Where is the Instructor in all of this?

Why am I paying for an online version of a course when the text book "says it all"?

The primary risk in structuring a course based on the way the text book is organized is the extent of revisions involved if there are significant amount of changes when the text changes editions. And worse of all, the text becomes outdated after a few years.
Satrohan

The online course should parallel the required text for the course; however, it should not duplicate the text. The online course course should use different methodologies to stimulate learning. For example, discussion questions could be developed from the basis of the content in each chapter. The facilitator could lead a discussion in which the application of the concepts is the focus. The textbook is an integral part of the learning environment and should not be ignored.

Charlotte:
Both positions you have taken in the first and last sentence of your response are acknowledged. If the course content duplicates the text, we run the risk of students questioning the value of the online portion of the course. Instructors should use the technology to enrich the learning experience.
Satrohan

Hi Satrohan,
If the course duplicates the textbook, then why have the course? The text should highlight important concepts, followed with discussion, activities, etc. which would focus on application and/or experiences an individual has had with those concepts.

Charlotte:
In answer to your question: This is exactly the kind of feedback we can expect from students when the textbook duplicates the online content. And I have seen this feedback quite a few times. Students question the return for the value of the money they have invested, as well as the value of the online content.
Satrohan

If students don't find any value in what they are learning, then they won't be invested in their education. Course concepts need to be discussed through personal experience, knowledge and application. Additional materials - additional reading, appropriate websites, etc. - can be used to enhance the discussion, besides using the course textbook.

To me it is very crucial having an on line course related to the required text; eventhough taking an on line course is already different then being in person in the classroom, it is very important to match the information to the text books used in class

Rebeca:
In the scenario you have described, the content of the coure seems to be driven by the content of the textbook.

Let us assume that 60% of the course content is driven by the textbook, do you foresee any problems if the textbook changes editions as a rsult of which a significant amount of its content has changed? Or the textbook goes out fo print or becomes outdated?
Satrohan

I agree with Satrohan in this regard completely! We are educated instructors. If we have nothing new to add to the text for the student, then why are we bothering to teach the class? We are experts in our fields, and while the text can be a strong outline, our courses should be about the information we can impart IN ADDITION to the text. This is the way I have taught for the last 13 years, and will be the way I teach in an online forum as well.

My only concern would be the potentially greater impact and delay of instructors adding too much information to the program in an on line format. Spoken, words can just be sounds, but typed, they may be taken more seriously - and take up more time. Perhaps the issue is a balance unique to this learning environment?

I definitely agree that balance is a key point, in either format, online or on the ground. But with that in mind, I still strongly agree that material must be made available (through lecture, additional website assignments, critical thinking experiences, etc.) in addition to the text. The key is to make it not only balanced, but also supplementing the main areas of information.

I teach anthropology and linguistics. The texts often give a basic approach, but with few examples. Additional information, examples, case studies, etc, are very important in supplementing the ideas of the textbooks. These all also make the class YOUR class, instead of the author of the textbook's class. That is invaluable. Just as Satrohan points out...why take a class if you only learn what is already in the book?

Jeffrey:
Baance is important; so is "students seeing the Instructor emerging". The content domain should be driven by the learning outcomes; so by abiding with this principle, there should be no excessive content. The other factor that influences the quantity of content is the number of hours students are expected to devote to the online course; be it on a module by module basis or on a weekly basis.
Satrohan

In comparing online instruction with in-class instruction, it seems we as instructors need to meet the needs presented and stated by the students as they work to achieve the objectives set by the course. Is it fair to students to offer related websites as optional resource material while requiring the completion of specific assignments, keeping the time requirements in mind? Does it work the same way as an in-class interaction where some students are open to learning more by doing more research?

I believe that related websites are key to learning. In the Human Services programs that we have, students need to learn how to do research in finding resources for clients. Our in class students have become quite proficient at finding additional material on topics and servies. I would expect the same from online students. Direction can be given to keep the time requirements in mind, as to how many sites and specifics, but students need to be active in their learning and not have everything handed to them. They need to learn to be resourceful.

Well expressed, Suzanne. Far too often, I observe SMEs going overboard with the "spoon feeding". They do that for a number of reasons; but even when I alleviate their concerns, they hold stead-fast to thier approach. The results could be "talking-down" to the students.

Yes: Students must be active in their learning. Over three decades ago, an Educator by hthe nameof Rescorla Solomon mentioned that the more mental effort one expends in th elearning process, the higher the learning level as well as the retention level.
Satrohan

Christine:
I am not sure I understand your first question; nevertheless, I will answer the best way I can. I do not see any problems arising from providing additional resources to enable students to complete assignments in a timely manner; providing that the assignment is not aimed at assessing students' abilities to conduct research using the internet as a tool. If time is theconstraint, I will, if I were the Instructor scope the Assignment to match the time available for completion. My preference is for students to exert their own efffort to complete thier assignments and that includes finding relevant materials for themselves.

I also have some difficulties comprehending the second question. The way I see it, hwen students are given Assignments to complete Instructors must provide the following information:

The purpose of the Assignment

Is it graded? If yes, how many points?

Does the grade con tribute to the student's final grade. If yes, what is the percentage point?

Completion time.

What will be considered satisfactory-----expectations plus the scoring Rubric. The Rubric is the key here. It maintains scorer reliability.

So to answer your question, students who choose to do more research should not be given better grades for the Assignment. Yes, they may end up learning more; but that is immaterial to fulfilling the criteria required for the Assignment. I have seen students do an excellent job in a seven page answer to an Assignment; and I have seen students who submitted 15 pages receive lower grades for the same Assignment
Satrohan

It should be very close. You are teaching the same subject on line that you are teaching in the traditional school environment.

I have found that it can be hard to adequately explain everything in the online environment, but it can be done. We just have to figure out the best ways to do it.

Sign In to comment