Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Nilda:
Please share with us osme ways in which we can adequately explain everything online.
Satrohan

If your course is based on textbooks then the online course has to follow that according to the rule of structural integrity. If the textbook and course differ the learner will get confused and lose interest.

I agree in most chases - but I think you can shift chapter order and exclude some chapters if it is very clear to the learner.

Jon

Stephanie:

I do think it is important to structure an online course to parallel the required text but also like flexibility in being able to add additional subject matter that might not be explained in the text.

I know as an on-ground instructor that students would be frustrated if we did not use the book in which they bought for the course.

I am also finding this to be true in an online environment. We try to parallel the book as much as possible but also add additional content as needed to help our students.

As more and more "textbooks" become strictly e-books, this might help with the parallel issue.

Kim

Great points - thanks for sharing! - Jon

I agree, when the student reading online content wants to access more information it needs to be a part of a logical structure to get there. It is stuctural integrity and navigational simplicity, we may think of navigational simplicity only in the online structure but it includes navigating to other instructional elements of the course.

If navigation to the text material from the online material is not clear students will be frustrated, waste time, and give up on fully using the textbook.

Do you go so far as to reference actual page numbers where the student may find more information on that topic, or do you leave it up to the student to use the index, etc.?

Cynthia,
yes page numbers are cited. I recommend working with Microsoft Word, then go to Reference tab. This can help you cite your work. You can also use the Purdue Owl....https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/12/

Shelly Crider

Satrohan,

If a high percentage of the instructional content is built into the course materials itself, text books can be selected that can parallel that material. It may be helpful depending on how content is published to the class, and give the instructor a greater ability in changing course materials, or simply keeping pace with new text editions.

Michael

Sign In to comment