Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Evaluation

Evaluation is a constant. Yes it is important to adjust when necessary. How do you mitigate adjustment without over-doing the fine tuning of a class?

Michael,
Honestly this is a term to term question! Students are different each and every term and where you do your adjustments really depends on the student at that point in time.

Shelly Crider

HI Shelly, I think you are correct. As a full time on line instructor who teaches the same courses each session normally, I have noticed that each class has a culture. Sometimes I get a class of students who all seem heavily involved in discussion boards and chatrooms and sometimes there are classes that participate minimally or not at all. If a class can get off to a good start I think that a core of students responding in a format that the other student see encourages the class in general to participate. The key for me has been to get that first week enthusiasm for a handful of students to become the tool for encouraging others to participate.

David,
My class of students this term love to call and text me! I have never had so many phone calls in all the years of being online, but the students really want the help and not afraid to ask. You have to love that about them!

Shelly Crider

I agree that we are always evaluating. Every class is different with different needs. the classes seem to always need tuning and adjusting.

Evaluation is necessary in any on going implementation process. You may add or make adjustments the longer you teach a class. I like to re-evaluate after each term. I take surveys from students and ask them to critique course, the delivery systems and what would they have liked to see. My class shells have changed tremendously from the first.
I believe in the concept of adaptability and the ability to make an adjustment. Sounds easy but can be quite hard.

Daniel,
Excellent point. Class evalutation does sound simple, but too often we take these evaluations for granted and do not act on them.

Shelly Crider

Good thought as it does seem that a portion of what you do is based on the class you are teaching. I certainly change things up depending on the class, the number of students etc.. So really I do not know that there is a absolute answer. So many variables to consider from semester to semester and this includes the course you are teaching.

William Huber

William,
Which is a good answer, as it is oh so true!!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment