Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There is quite a difference between teaching on-ground and being able to communicate with the students face-to-face, having an opportunity to observe them and teaching on-line. Teaching in an e-learning environment takes a lot more effort to get to know your students and for them to get to know you. It is wonderful when they respond and are willing to communicate. Unfortunately many students can also ignore your calls and emails when they don't feel like talking.

All I can do - is just keep trying to get through to them and make them understand that you are there to help them.

The verbal comes from the chats. It is important to some students but not all. Some students like the task oriented environment of online.

Hi John,
I also agree that a brief bio about ones self can be a great ice breaker. Lets the students now that we are human and that there really is someone out there with interests. Another great way to connect with students.
Time constraints often puts both the instructor and the students on at odd hours and the convenience of being able to post questions/comments when time is available does not always allow for instant dialog.

I think that is a great point. I have had several students that don't respond. I think we get a mixed bag in each class. Some students prefer the on-line setting so they can perform the self- study and not worry about any other communication. It is an interesting dynamic with each class.

Kelly, I agree with your position. I often get frustrated as an online student when I am unable to have a verbal question answered.

The Online environment can provide a rich learning experience in the absence of actual face-to-face communication. As noted by my colleagues earlier, posting your bio and having the students post theirs, provides a basis from which to build a working relationship. The bio's provide insight into both the student and the teacher. Granted a phone call is an added bonus, however some facilitators are not able to do this, hence the importance of the bio. By actually reading the students bio's and commenting appropriately, you can clearly provide a rich learning experience.

I agree as well. I have done initial calls in my courses in the past and I always found that it went a long way to improving the interaction between myself and students.

Sign In to comment