Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Office hours

I'm relatively new to online instruction. I don't really get a whole lot of questions etc...from office hours. Is this normal or are there times in the day that you've found to get responses and questions.

Michael,
Office hours are a good way to make a student feel that there is an actual human in charge of the class. A good way for a student to know they will not have to wait for an answer...we live in an instant gratification world!

Shelly Crider

Our institution requires that you are available at least 2 hours a week exclusively for office hours. I put at least one during the day and one in the evening to insure that everyone has an opportunity to connect with me. Also, obviously, making appointments for either during or outside of office hours is encouraged--although it takes more coordination and planning.

Katina,
It is nice to be available some over the weekend as many students will work on their work during this time.

Shelly Crider

My schools require us to post office hours for each class.

I do find that sometimes students come to office hours.

I also think that there are times when students don't show or ask questions.

Having contact info, office hours times, and perhaps a google voice # so students can call, can allow students to feel like someone is present in the class.

Hope this helps,
Kelly

Kelly,
Thank you for mentioning google voice. This is a very nice resource!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment