Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Frequency of participation in discussions!

Hi,

It is very important to set a minimum number of posting in online dicussions. The quality of posting is very important as well. Oneliner posting should not be credited with any points. I think, a minimum of three postings per topic is a logical standard for any online discussions. The first posting should be the introduction, second one should be response to someone else's posting and extend thoughts, and the final posting should be a summarized thoughts on the topic.

Anwar,

Interesting post - yes, it needs to be a discussion, and that requires more than a single though.

Thanks,

Jon

In my experience, required postings often lack depth, insight, or critical thinking, and therefore, do not achieve the intended goals. I suggest, rather, that there should be a clear rubric with quality standards.

Laura,

I agree. I've seen rubrics for length and quality for both initial replies and then subsequent student-to-student discussions. They really help raise the bar.

Jon

As for my experience I feel that yes it is important to set a minimum of postings per topic. If we don't set these there may be students who just sit back and don't participate at all. This will also engage them in learning and will give a broader view of the subject being attacked.

Anwar, I agree and we have this policy at one of the schools that I teach for.

Students must submit their initial post to the thread topic no later than Wednesday, then need to respond to at least two others during the rest of the week and these posts must be on different days of the week too, along with the requirement that all post be of a substantive quality too.

Without these rules students want to go in to the course and post all of their work on a single day and think that they deserve full credit.

I tell them that the discussion is supposed to mirror the live class and you would not be silent for the balance of the week when others are sharing their thoughts!!

I agree that a discussion and true dialogue is much more beneficial to learning and that the responsibility for this lies with the instructor. I try to tie in each of the responses from the students back to the course objective and also try to "hook" them into one another's responses. When I don't do this, it becomes a collage of responses without much integration of theme - rather than a true painting and thematic discussion.

This is a very interesting conversation. I work at two different schools and both have very different policies. Once requires a minimum number of posts on different days in addition to an initial response. The are requirements set on the length and qualities of a substantial post. Here the instructor is also held accountable for interacting a certain amount as well.

The other school requires an initial post and two responses to other students' posts. The instructor is not required to "be present" in the discussion. I think this is a mistake that causes us to miss the opportunity to shape the discussion and get students to think more critically.

Setting strict requirements, in my opinion based on my experience, is the way to go.

Nicole,
Students like requirements, no matter what they are!!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment