Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Needed

I am not much of a computer person - am 60 years old!
Nonetheless, I am starting to become fascinated with what it would take for an on-line course to be truly fascinating to the student.
I do think that seeing the instructor talking will make a higher quality of connectioni - rather than just seeing text or even hearing a voice with no significant visual.
What technology do you all recommend for a novice to come up with video-lectures that could work well? Also what do you now about video-emails?

I may be jumping the gun re media (Topic 4) - but I'm curious already.

David Lauterstein

David:
Like you, I also am not a high tech person; however, I do have a multimedia team with whom I would consult and provide you with the answer within th enext ctwo days.

Video clips are an excellent way to provide a variation in the mode of instruction. You definitely have to consider the length of the videos, and the availability of videostreaming technology to avoid lengthy downloading times for students. Three minute segments seem to work well for 56K internet connections.

I will inquire more tomorrow and advise further.

Another discovery we have made about our students is that when we provide lengthy narrations, be it through audio or audio-visual, students have expressed a preference for a hardcopy of the narration so that they can print it out and use it away from the computer. This can be an important facility for them if you wil be testing on the content in your video.

This is the first time I am inquiring about video-emails. Will inquire about this also.

Finally, keep in mind that your students must have access to the necessary technology and software as well as computer power to run your course in the least obstructive manner.
Satrohan

DAvid:
Please clarify what you mean by "to come up with viseo lectures". Do you mean to produce the videso?

We have been having a bad stretch of weather over the past few days, and it is likely to continue until next Tuesday. My out of town staff may not be coming in; please be patient with me as I continue my inquiry about video-mails.
Satrohan

Hi

I'm 73 but found out that I could handle technology with the help of good counselors. I learn by repetition - if someone moves my cheese, I go back to the smart guys

I've attended online courses in which there was no hearing of a voice/ seeing a face, and I've also taught courses in which we were in a designated room where we had lecture/ discussions. In the latter, students were not required to attend should their schedule not permit them; however, there was make up work.

If the technology allows it, then some face-to-face/ voice interaction would be good. In a sense, that would be in the middle of a traditional classroom and an online course. I prefer seeing the text, reading the lectures, and partipating when it is convenient; however, some students might prefer seeing a match of a voice and face along with a course.

I'm not technical savvy so I wouldn't even be able to offer suggestions on what type of technology to use.

Charlotte:
The integration of audio-visuals in course content is supported by many course Delivery Platforms; Blackboard, Moodle, IntraLearn, and WebCT are examples. The primary consideration one has to give surrounds downloading times for the audio and video segments especially if some of their students are on low internet speeds. Course Delivery Platforms also support video-streaming which reduces the downloading times.
Satrohan

I think it all depends on the subjects, some would be better if taught in person, at least that’s my personal opinion, but also on line courses today are well designed and they can deliver all the information as well as making the students to participate.

Dario:
Please join me to further explore your contribution to this Discussion thread by answering this question.

Question
What is the primary criterion that determines whether content is suitable for delivering all learning and assessmnet measures online?

Satrohan

Like you I have attended online courses. Seeing a face and hearing a voice I may have not felt so alone. The concept of webcams and chat rooms would certainly provide the feel that someone is out there.

Colleen:
The use of the communication technologies you have mentioned are acceptable, provided that students are open to using such technologies.
Satrohan

What if you have an unpleasant voice? I think videos cannot be beat, but if you have an unpleasant voice, it defeats the purpose. A text alternative would be a good thing to have. Do you agree?

Ann:
If you are not comfortable with your voice, then you should avoid using video-clips of yourself. The text version will not solve the problem; it will be an excellent alternative. The prearation of video instruction is costly. If the quality is such that students are likely not to use it; and to use the text version; then I suggest moving with the text version only.
Satrohan

Most students are not technologically savvy, what resources are out there for the students to access if they need help?

Hi Alysha!

There are resources for students on the internet, of course, that provide computer technical support, but most of them are fee-based. Many schools provide their own assistance to their online students regarding access and technical issues. Additionally, if you are using a publisher's text or material in your online course, that publisher would also be a tremendous resource for both you and your students.

If any of our other course participants know of specific resources, plaease feel free to respond.

Jay Hollowell
Guest Facilitator
EL101

Resources that are non-fee based include: The Public Library, Goodwill Industries and other charitable organization. Careful not to acquire a computer that does not meet the course's minimal technical requirements. The library is terrific for a student without financial means and technical abilities.

Great examples!

Jon

We teach keyboarding online. If there is a new problem that we as instructures are unable to answer, we have a emergency support number just for that program that is supported by the publisher. When you call, you are asked if you are an instructor or a student. The tech will help either the instructor or the student with technical issues. It is wonderful to have because I am not a hardware expert nor do I understand how to explain some of the issues involed because of people using different computer systems.

Billie,

Great example - sounds very useful!

Jon

There are many perks for the adult learner to prefer an online course, especially those with young children, jobs, and transportation issues. I teach at an on-site college, and some of my students have said they fear they would not be motivated enough to succeed online, or they would miss the interaction with their fellow classmates. But with technology what it is and growing, becoming more interactive, I feel this form of education will just become more and more viable and mainstream. That's why I'm trying to learn more about it!

I think that is important to understand what the level of student's abilities to work with basic
computer resources such as word, excel, power point, etc.

As a matter of policy, I believe that the Course Syllabus should state what the perquisite
computer skills should be, in order to attend the course.

Also, the syllabus should give students information on what online access and computers
are available to the student at the institution of learning, in case they do not have access at their
home.

Sign In to comment