Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jane,

I believe that group projects could work by setting up individual group chats and assigning each group a current medical topic. Especially those topics that never go away, such as stem-cell research. The group could collaborate and develop a group paper or presentation.

James,

That would work! Or they could correspond through a threaded discussion or even the old fashioned telephone :)

Jane

I teach criminal justice courses both in an on-campus environment and online. I really love the online environment! We utilize live classroom sessions that are recorded so that a student who is absent can gain the same material as the students who attended the class session. We are able to include pop-quizzes, examinations, essay discussions, etc. while live or we can create material that is to be accessed at a later time. PowerPoint presentations can be shown as a PPT or as a video, we have the ability for guest lecturers to attend a live session (or can participate through the asynchrous method at a later time), and allow students to actively participate in the live discussion. I also have students work in groups while live (in different online rooms) so I can monitor the actual learning that is taking place.

The courses are complimented by the asynchrous chats, discussions, and assignments that the students complete.

When we combine the two different forms of communication during an online course I think the students can truely get a comparible experience to those students who are on campus.

Section 3 of this course provided some great ideas and suggests for onlibe courses.

Your online courses in criminal justice are impressive. You have made the most of what online education has to offer.

It seems that your students are local; am I right? Are you combining online and classroom learning for all of your students or are some online and other onsite?

Another fine post! :)

Jane

I teach an online orientation course for new students. The assessments methods i use are the level of participation and quality of responses in the discussion boards, and quizzes. The discussion board responses help me to see how students think and make extensions to the learnings presented. Quizzes are utilized primarily to assess comprehension and knowledge of facts. Exams in this case are not very helpful. The course is short, and is designed to foster collaboration among students and to build community.

Peter,

The assessment methods you are using are appropriate for your course.

Do your students get more than one attempt at the quizzes?

Just curious :)

Jane

Usually they get one attempt at the quiz and are provided immediate feedback and explanation of the correct answers.

I teach graduate level courses and use Powerpoint as the main distibution mechanism. I would use case studies as the method of assessment. This is more subjective in nature, and allows a broader and deeper level of discussion and overall interaction.

Case studies are an excellent assessment method; especially for graduate-level courses. Do you think they would also be useful for assessing the progress of students at the undergraduate level also?

:)
Jane

One of the courses I teach is Beginning Accounting. I use formal lectures, PowerPoint presentations, class projects and lots of homework. One of the project is to research a company and bring information about thier financial statements. I think it would be a good project to do as well in an online course.
I have a question also. What about pop quiz? I guess you can post a question and ask the students to answer it in a timely manner? What do you think?

Anne-Patricia,

I am not a strong advocate of pop-quizzes in any classroom setting. However, in the courses I teach, I can control when a quiz is accessible to students; from hours to days. You could certainly post one and open it from 1pm to 2pm on Thursday.

I prefer that quizzes are learning experiences in themselves. I usually allow students to take them more than once. This way they can improve their grades while they learn.

Jane

I would use quizzes to assess the learners. Their participation in on-line discussions would also determine how much they have understood.

Having students to create a presentation or a report and have them e-mail it would be another way of assessing them.
Nieva

Nieva,

Quizzes are a terrific way to ascertain what your students have learned. I like to allow them to retake quizzes until they earn 100%. This way, the quiz itself is a learning experience. Do you agree, or do you have a different take on quizzes?

What would you think of students creating presentations that their classmates could view rather than just emailing them to you? Just a suggestion :)

Thanks for your input!

Jane

As I'm lecturing in class I let the students decide/write what questions should be on a quiz. It's amazing - they write harder questions then I would. When it's time for the quiz - the students feel very comfortable with the material.

It has been many years since I have taught a full class. In my current position I am desiging an teaching 2-3 hour seminars on different topics related to education and hybrid/online delivery. When I was teaching, I primarily taught various scripting and programing languages, some multimedia applications, and web design. These areas all lend themselves very well to the online environment. One course that works particularly well is Beginning Web Design. There are ample resources and many different ways to approach assessment.

I prefer using assessment methods that allow you to see a studnet's skills in action. Tests and quizzes certainly have their place, but for me their ability to perform the objectives of the class is the most important. In a web design class these skills could be assessed through many methods: code that has been uploaded, websites that have been built, jpg files of design comps, written description of GUI elements, written analysis of other site's design flaws and strenghts, and so on. All of these allow me to see how well the student has actually applied the skills they should have learned from the class, or from individual learning modules that a quiz or test cannot access as well.

The only piece that is not able to be assessed is presentational skill. But that is a pretty tough one to simulate online, even with full video conferencing!

Steve,

How would you translate that assessment method to the online environment? How would you assist your students in attaining that same comfort level?

Are there any other assessment methods you would use in an online course that you design aside from quizzes?

I am interested in your thoughts :)

Jane

I teach many business courses but the one I will explain is Principle of Finance. There are a number of assessment methods I have used simply because through the methods I test students knowledge, ability and competencies skills not only for present financial situations, but also for the future and in the past.

I test students through standardized test, quizzes (true and false, multiple choices and fill in the balnks), term papers and classroom discussion everyday about financial problems not only in USA, but on an international scale.

Using different strategies to assess students ability about the subject matter, it enhances their knowledge and ability so that they can under the financial markets, how it operates and the reasons for poor financial performance, hence, the stock market.

Jai

Jai,

All of the methods you are currently using in the traditional classroom should translate wonderfully to the online classroom.

Standardized tests, especially T/F and M/C are awesome online because they grade themselves. Also, classroom discussion is a terrific learning experience for students. Some say that deeper learning takes place through online discussion than does through live classroom discussion. What do you think?

Thanks for your input!

Jane

Discussion enriches out thought process, but it is only effective if the presenter can capture the audience attention.
For example, weren't you bored when your professor lecture failed to wet your appettie? Weren't were very much involved wehn did a course online and the same topic seems very interested and the online discussion posting were very lively and made you very much participative. The point is that whether the same discussion is online or in standard classroom, we are alive is the preacher makes its alive.

Your question is debatable.

Jai

Jai,

You bring up a good point about grabbing attention with lectures.

What assessment methods would you use in your online class?

Jane

Sign In to comment