Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I use standard testing formats (multiple choice, T/F, Fill in the Blank, Case studies). The level or complexity of the questions I present allow me to directly address the cognitive level I am trying to achieve. I would not vary my approach if it were an online course. Using and applying the information are critical to what we do.

Jason,

I like your use of real-world situations as an assessment tool.

:)
Jane

John,

I couldn't agree with you more. :)

Jane

I teach Professional Communications to career college students. I use PowerPoint presentations (that the book publisher provides) along with lecture, and group and individual projects. The majority of the student's grade comes from projects (memo, resume, letter, project proposal etc.) and quizzes. I create my quizzes in ExamVue, using multiple-choice questions. I could definitely use the same methods to teach the class and grade the students online. I may be jumping ahead of the module, but how do you do the voiceovers?

Hi Sherri,

PowerPoint works very well for delivering lectures in an online course. The "how" when creating the audio portion of the lectures depends on the capabilities of the course management system you are using.

At Strayer, this is a fairly simple process because the recording and saving of audio files is built in. You may also use the broadcast capabilities of PowerPoint.

You mentioned that you use group projects as part of the learning process in your classes. Would you continue to do so when teaching your course online? Just curious :)

Jane

I'm not sure if I would use group projects or not. I know that I could, but it may impede the progress of the independent learner...

Hi Sherri,

Actually, I have found group projects to be very effective in the online environment, for many of the same reasons that they are used in the traditional classroom.

Building community in a virtual classroom is important and group projects help students to develop a sense of belonging. Sometimes, when students are geographically dispersed, the logistics of completing a group project present some challenges but, all in all, they are as useful online as in the classroom.

As far as the independent learner is concerned, he or she can glean much from the experience of a group project.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Jane

I teach naturopathy and allied health. Some of the courses withing each program do not fit completely in the online delivery system - phlebotomy for instance. I can teach all the diadactic online and can use live video web conferenceing (I have a company that does that)to asses the students ability to accurately draw blood, etc. As for the bodywork courses - most of each program can be taughts online but classroom lab is necessary to asses hands-on skills as to amount of pressure, accurate technique, etc. I use videos, power point, lectures and hands-on demonstrations in the classroom. For online it is the same except that the hands-on is demonstrated by live web conferencing. For all testing in courses I use T/F questions, matching, multiple choice and a few essay questions. Hands-on finals including phlebotomy are done in the classroom.

Marcia,

It seems that a hybrid course is best for your students. Many schools are finding that having a portion of the learning take place online is preferable to expanding their facilities to accommodate more students.

You have provided a comprehensive list of assessment techniques. Would you also grade students on their responses to discussion questions? I find that, in the marketing classes I teach, you can assess your students' grasp of the material through their responses to case study questions. They are my favorite assessment method.

Thanks for your response :)

Jane

Had that all typed in and had an interruption in the connection. SO here's a quicker version.

I teach a business simulation class that includes making aand presenting a complete and viable business plan. While the printed plan itself and and powerpoint presentations that may be included are easy to assess from online courses, there is also a professional component which could not be done.

The professional component includes the team being dressed as business professionals, and making the presentation to a board of their peers or some local businessmen, for evaluation. This could not be done online in it's current configuration.

There is also often a surprise evaluation requiring the students to make a complete presentation with no warning, thus assessing their ability to think under pressure as well as forcing them to be generally prepared to 'wing it' if you will. This too would not be appropriate for online assessment.

Hi Howard,

Do you believe that some schools offer Speech classes online? The assessment is videotaped speeches that are then uploaded for the class and instructor to evaluate.

Aside from the impromptu assignments, your business plan course may someday be appropriate for online. Who knows?

It is ironic that you experienced a connection problem while responding to this question. Now you see another issue with online assessment :)

Good post!

Speech is a different animal and slightly different assessment guidelines would have to be hammered out. At the present, the speech class we have includes the usual English related issues, all of which can be assessed online. The sticky points are poise and delivery. Both of these might change if done in front of a camera vs a live audience. Once we could get around that issue, then there are no other problems.

Thanks!

I think the courses at maxknowledge are a perfect example of what an online course should consist of. This course in particular utilized graphics as well as audio. This made modules easy and informative. If I tought an online class, I might use this course as a guideline.

The Maxknowledge course is certainly a good example of an online course, although its purpose is a bit different than typical college courses.

Are you thinking of teaching online or developing an online course? If so, I hope this course has given you some good ideas :)

Jane

In our classrooms we teach with powerpoint presentations and lectures. The online course are a new venture for us. To incorporate an online course we would use more graphics, audio, and three demesional views.

Audio, graphics, and three dimensional views are great additions to an online presentation. They tend to bring the lecture "alive".

How would you change you assessment methods when your course goes online? Will you continue with your current methods and adopt them to the online environment, or would you change the way you determine that students are learning in your course?

Jane

I teach advanced web design and search engine optimization. In an online course I would assign quizzes, to ensure students are learning the information as they go through the course. In both topics that I teach collective learning is very important to being able to actually complete the skill by the end of the course.

I would also integrate hands-on projects throughout the course to measure skill and assure students are learning.

At the end I would give a collective test and a portfolio project that would be reviewed. For the project I would give a rubric to assure students know what I am looking for.

I like the idea of worksheets. I will try that in some of my classes.

I teach Anatomy & Physiology to Medical Assisting students. An online course would follow the same format that I am currently using for the onsite class. I give the students a minimum of 20 words to look up and define, then they take a matching quiz. I lecture on a chapter in the book, and then the students take a multiple choice test. I see the online class exactly the same. The challenge would be to make sure that the lecture material was filled with graphics and pictures. I would also try to include animation for physiology. Discussions could be used for current medical trends and views. Group projects may be a little difficult in my mind, as it may be difficult to present something without being able to be face-to-face with your group.

James,

Matching quizzes and multiple-choice tests would certainly be appropriate for an online course.

You also bring up a good point about including visual items in your online lectures. With the technology available in today's course management software, video, animation, and audio are a breeze to incorporate into your online lectures.

There are several ways to make group work happen. For example, you could set up separate discussion areas for each group for them to collaborate. You could also encourage students to participate in a group chat session. I have used both methods. Can you think of a way to incorporate group work into your Anatomy & Physiology course?

Jane

Sign In to comment