Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jeremy,

That's a great idea! Even if they do not do it with an actual animal all the time, it may be worthwhile doing a paper version of this as well. I appreciate you sharing this!

Jae Gruber

Alexander,

It is good to witness a renewed emphasis on agriculture by Chefs and the general public. Organic food, grass fed, free range, hormone free...these are all terms that are important for the next generation of cooks to learn.

Jae Gruber

Warren,

This is a fantastic idea! I hope that many instructors try this in their class. The more opportunities we can provide for students to think, learn and have fun, the more engaged they will be in the course!

Jae Gruber

Scott,

I can understand your viewpoint, but when possible, it is helpful for the students to learn how to work on a project together and even to learn redistribution of work when a member of the group stops attending class.

Jae Gruber

In the food safety classes I have made students get in groups and make a over sized jeopardy chart game of questions based on food safety. now, instead of the students choosing a category by voice they use a nerf toy gun to aim at any part of the jeopardy chart to get a question. first group to answer the question gets the point.

Nicholas ,

This is a great idea. Do you find that the students work well together, that a leader emerges or that the students have any challenges working together on one showpiece?

Jae Gruber

I have my students create a policy manual for their restaurant simulation. This manual includes policies for attendance, uniform customer service, production expectation & progressive dicipline. This creates "buy in" as well as adresses writing, management, critical thinking and a host of other topics.

michael,

Great idea. Students are often surprised at the cost of kitchen equipment, not to mention various licensing and the utility costs that can be incurred.

Jae Gruber

Monica,

These are very good ideas. Many students have never seen or tasted various ingredients prior to attending culinary school. When the student researches or hears of the research of other students on ingredient history and is exposed to tasting opportunities, it increases the likelihood of positive student engagement.

Jae Gruber

Michael ,

That sounds like a lot of fun! Games in the classroom are a great way to get students involved in their learning. A relaxed competitive activity can acutally increase the possibility that the student will study. They want to win!

Jae Gruber

Robert,

I like the idea of the manual for restaurant simulation. Can you tell us more about the rubric that you use to grade this?

Jae Gruber

I really like the idea of creating their dream restaurant from the ground up. They have to:
*Create a business plan
*Come up with the Vision & Mission Statements
*Design the kitchen
*Research and cost out equipment
*Research and cost out Dining room equipment
*Research and Develop the menu
*Cost out menu
*etc.

Yes, I usually give them a handout with various subjects and have them list them in their order of preference. Then, I pair them up with someone else who had similar rankings. Even if they have opposite personalities, the one thing they have in common is the subject on which they will present. I have been very suprised at the results of some of the pairings--in a good way!

Marcus

Research and costing...indeed, it does matter. Research can prevent many painful lessons and contribute to success. Costing is the reality that must be applied to every aspect of the business. Good points Chef!

Jae Gruber

Here is a copy of the assignment as well as the Rubric.

Human Relations 2: Policy Manual Project

Overview: For this final project in Human Relations 2, you will design a policy manual that will be implemented during your Restaurant Simulation Class next term. This project is intended to serve a multitude of purposes. It will define expectations as “employees” next term with regard to appearance timeliness and efficiency. It will measure your “fairness” as supervisors this term. It will establish repercussions for choices made next term regarding adherence to policies that you will define. It will give you ownership over your Simulation. It will gauge your eye for details in policy development. Ultimately it will give you experience in developing policy which is a good skill to have to ensure that all employees that work for you remain happy.

Procedure: As a class you will use several class periods to discuss what the overarching policies will be in five different areas. Attention to detail must be examined thoroughly in each area. Small groups will have an easier time than larger groups so compromise is key for large groups. Understand that it will be a rare occurrence that EVERYONE will agree with specific policies but those chosen by the majority will be enforced by your Simulation Instructor. Policies should be accepted by majority vote and be firm, fair and well defined. The once the policies are discussed, the group will divide into five groups. Each group will be responsible for writing the policies in each of the five categories. The work should be split evenly and involve all group members. The five sections of the policy manual will include:

• Uniform Policy – This will include (but is not limited to) front and back of the house expectations with regard to what defines a uniform, what is acceptable and un acceptable, when uniforms are to be worn, cleanliness expectations, personal hygiene, etc. All elements of the uniform and personal appearance should be examined in this section.

• Attendance Policy – This section is to include (but is not limited to) When students are expected to arrive, and depart Restaurant Simulation, what will constitute an excused absence or tardiness and what will define an unexcused absence or tardiness, notification procedures regarding a pending absence or tardiness, etc. All elements of Attendance should be examined in this section.

• Production Expectation Policy – This section is to include (but is not limited to) the expected production pace of the kitchen, when and how many breaks can be taken during a production shift & during a service shift as well as the duration of said breaks, expectations for station set up & breakdown service day, detailed cleaning expectations, etc. All elements that effect production should be examined in this section.

• Customer Service Expectation Policy – This section is to include (but is not limited to) how Restaurant Simulation will deal with guests, what defines appropriate speech & actions, how to deal with “problem” customers, who will meet customer needs, how the dining room will appear, what ambiance qualities will be expected in the dining room, protocol for seating guests & reservation fulfillment, Protocol for communication between front and back of house All elements that effect service should be examined in this section.

• Progressive Discipline Policy – This section is to include (but is not limited to) creating repercussions for violations in any policy area. The Progressive Discipline policy should be easy to implement, fair and firm. The policy should consider as many variables as possible that may cause the violation of policy. The discipline policy MUST be progressive in nature (increasing in severity with each violation & the violation’s nature). Define who will implement the policy, when & how.

Format: Each of the five policies will include its heading at the top of the page centered, bolded and underlined in 16 point times new roman script. The body of the policy should be printed in 14 point times new roman script. The five sections should be packaged & combined to resemble a functioning Policy Manual. A cover page and table of contents must also be included. The policy manual should be presented in a binder.

Evaluation: The policy manual grades will be evaluated concerning the following criteria:
• Inclusion of the five policy sections.
• Thoroughness of the policies.
• Firmness and Fairness of the policies.
• Ease of implementation.
• Presentation / Appearance of the finished product.
• Smoothness of the in-class policy meeting.
• Efficiency of the group work
• Individual effort and contribution.
Keep In Mind: This manual is a gauge of your baseline expectations at the beginning of Restaurant Simulation. You are expected to set the bar HIGH with regard to professional conduct, production & customer service! Simulation Instructors ALWAYS have the right to expect more!

And the Rubric:

Human Relations 2: Policy Manual Project Rubric

Inclusion of the Five Policy Sections - /10

Thoroughness Of The Five Policies - /10

Firmness & Fairness Of The Five Policies - /10

Ease Of Implementation /10

Presentation / Appearance Of The Finished Manual /10

Smoothness Of The In – Class Policy Meetings /30

Efficiency Of The Group Work - /10

Individual Effort - /10

Patricia,

What a very interesting way of pairing people into groups! Thank you for sharing this best practice.

Jae Gruber

Robert,

Thank you for sharing your assignment and rubric in such great detail! This will be a great reference for all who are reading the various comments on the discusson board.

Jae Gruber

Team Play! In the hospitality class in one of the chapters it is discussing teamwork and tries to explain it and it does a pretty good job...But! So before I started this chapter I decided to do a scavenger hunt for the class. It was large enough to force the class to split it up and also gave them a time limit telling them they had X amount of time to gather the items. It was interesting to see in the first seconds of the hunt, what leaders surfaced and how the first few minutes started in a little chaos. Eventually after the group dismissed in the many ways, one started to control the hunt. It also happened to be the person that watched as the others were ignored or told to "sit down and zip it." The class did make it on time with only about a minute or two to spare and the discussion after provided a real unique view of a class trying to come together as one unit.

I have found that projects with diverse groups tend to lead into the best discussions and outcomes. When students are paired with other's who differ from them in life experiences, the generally tend to have a higher chance of seeing a new view.

I like giving students group projects where they are in competition with the other groups. Normally they have multiple deadlines throughout the semester with a judged presentation at the end.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities