Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Robert,

This is an excellent assignment because it provides "two for one" learning: the student learns more about food while applying and receiving feedback on their communication skills. What a great combination!

Jae Gruber

Lauren,

I agree with you. This type of project is easily incorporated into either a production class scenario or into general education classes such as Food Safety, Nutrition, Cost Control and others.

Jae Gruber

I teach communications/speech and by far the best projects I've had were:

-- Analyzing a favorite tv show, movie, book or video game for communication styles or concepts that we'd discussed in class. -- I've done this as a paper, and as a powerpoint. The powerpoint was better received since it didn't require formal writing, but it did require a polished presentation to the group.

-- A how-to demo where they teach the group how to do something related to the profession- within a set time limit. They were allowed to cook and/or use the "magic of television" to accomplish this. -- I found that for most students the freedom to discuss a passion reduced anxiety, which helped them follow the presentation format and engage the audience much more naturally.

--A group project where the team selects a topic within the culinary field, and they present the information, persuade the group, and finish with a call to action -- project was done in stages, and group had to assign roles equally while meeting deadlines.

-- Created a commercial for a "new" product in the culinary field-- worked on persuasion, denotation/connotation, audience awareness and allowed the group to be creative, professional, and have fun.

-- Have the group "create" catering companies, imagine customer types, advertising approaches and bid for particular jobs with well defined "customers". On the back end they must document how the process went and connect what they're doing to various communication concepts we've discussed during the term. (Particularly relationship building/working in teams/conflict resolution and problem solving) I've done this individually, in pairs, and as small groups. I've found the pairs version typically works best.

I have the group project that requires students to research the job description for an Executive Chef. They find out that this position rarely involves cooking! An Executive Chef orders food, is responsible for food cost, must interview,hire/fire, and deal closely with patrons.

All these activities require excellent written, verbal, and mathematical skills.
Students soon discover that a chef is way more than just a good cook!!

Kimberly,

I have witnessed some extremely creative group presentations for foodbourne illness...even puppet shows, costumes, sculptures and more. What may seem like a dry topic can be a source of fun!

Jae Gruber

Brian,

I had to laugh at your comment about the students initials reaction of offal. That certainly does seem to be pretty standard. It is true though, that if they at least try a bite they are usually surprised by how much they enjoy it.

Jae Gruber

Shannon,

This is an excellent best practice. It is one thing to be able to identify an item, but quite another to explore the item in depth and share it with classmates. Great idea!

Jae Gruber

I have had my classes research classcial plated desserts and them provide a powerpoint and demonstration for the entire class. This not only got them think of the classics but also put them in front of people to demonstration verbal and mechanical skill.

I created a project for a cakes class where they go through the entire process of a bridal consultaiton to the actually making the cake for the bride. As brides, I ask for volunteers from faculty and staff.

Joseph,

I really like that your cake project includes a bridal consultation. Introducting this element is a great way of getting their "feet wet" for real world experiences!

Jae Gruber

Group projects I have seen are making/building/designing food/ice sculptures. Baking cupcakes and having blind folded tastings.
Another for me is going to the store and finding the lowest saturated fat - oil, finding a product with lowest amount of sugar - for a cereal, etc.. Writing this down and comparing it to what the other groups came up with.

menu competritions, followed by a reality show style culinary competition

Those that require students to be up and about. Sitting and just rehashing information is often not very motivating. Requiring students to visit, interact, and incorporate information is much more stimulating and results in better outcomes.

Mark,

I agree. Students like to be up and moving, whether it be in the kitchen or in a General Education course. However, when there is lecture that needs to take place, asking students to sit in a different place every day or rearraning the classroom frequently can be helpful.

Jae Gruber

Having students after demo of breaking down a animal will have to put it back together like a puzzle to better understand the construction of the animal.

When I have time at the end of the day I have my students do what they call "A,B,C's" I have the class set up their own teams and have each team write the alphabet down the left side of a sheet of paper. I then give them a culinary topic (small equipment, fruit, seafood, dessert, etc) and have them fill in one answer for each letter. The winning team is the one with the most correct answers. The whole class gets to judge whether a choice is not correct, great time for discussion. In case of a tie I go for least number of misspelled words. Works great, been doing this for quite a few years.

I find in a transiant school individual projects are best

I have students create a chocolate show piece in a small group. Each student must demonstrate each of the compentencies involved then they dicuss and critique and determin which will be applied to the final project.

creating a kitchen layout or design. students learn about costs of equipment, types & the all around needs of building a space

I find that assigning my students projects on products they do not know, makes it exciting for them. I also require that they cook a dish using that ingredients and they do a presentation to the class, so that other students can educate themselves on that ingredients and also have the chance to taste it.

I usually work with short films involving the culinary world like how the farming industry is very powerful in making political decision regarding laws in import and exports.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities