Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Finding Your Frame of Mind

What are your results from the 60-second assessment question? Which of these is your favorite frame of mind? Briefly discuss the difference between learning in your favorite mode (easiest) versus your least favorite (hardest) mode.

I believe I am somewhere between Rainbow & Touchy. (I often guide my students hands during trimming procedures in our lab. I find that actually guiding them takes some of their apprehension away, at least for a moment.)
I can not relate to Loner, so this would be a great challenge for me to be "self taught."
I appreciate a demonstration as well as physical guidance, in reference to lab skills.

Lisa, these learners can follow very detailed instructions all by themselves. it is indeed a challenge for all of us who teach.

Michele Deck

I am a Rainbow frame of mind. I am not the Integer! Funny how so many people do not like math!

I saw images and reflected on actions so I guess I would be a combination of visual and kinesthetic.
Best example I can give is from myself: in that I have always seemed to do well with things like writing, reading, Right-brain functions; yet I wanted to go into the medical field as well and found math, chemistry, memorization. Left-brain learning difficult.
So like that, learning in different modalities other than one is used to, or more comfortable with is possible but tends to be more difficult. By incorporating those easier modalities to difficult subjects a compromise can be met and learning can become easier.

Gordon, I'm so gald you have shared your personal experience of learning, it puts you in tune with some students who learn in diverse ways. That is a plus for both you and them.

Michele Deck

I am a visual learner and hands on learner. I don't think anyone has ONE style of learning. Visual is the way I learn the easiest. I love to read, but do not learn how to do things from reading instructions. I can learn abstract thought, history or memorization information when reading, but if I am learning to do something, I have to see it done first.

Lisa, I think you have done a fair assessment of your primary styles.

Michele Deck

My easiest mode of learning is kinetic have to touch and do it, and also a visual learner. With straight lecture I tend to just zone out and just read the text on my own or do my homework.

I would have to say that I am a visual, auditory learner. I see and hear words on a page and when I listen to someone else's lectures, I tend to "see" a little movie (video & audio) in my head. Certain types of learning however require me to have the kinesthetic experience (eg. learning to scale & rootplane) Dental Hygiene.

I really had to think on how I would answer as to the favorite and least favorite learner. The reason I say this is because it really depends on the subject that is being taught. I am going to talk about Medical Terminology; my favorite learner would be the auditory because there is so much reading and memorization in this class. My least favorite would be the Loner because in Medical Terminology, I like to have a few group project to help the student learn from powerpoint presentations as well as engaging in some games to help with remembering key words.

Tina, your answer is the perfect place to emphasize, "It depends." Every learner has their strengths and needs a great teacher learns to develop both of these traits to its maximum good intent.

Michele Deck

I am a person who is a mixture of the learning styles. However, I am probably more of a Jabber. I love books and learning. Yet there are aspects of a visual learner in me. I love charts and diagrams and tend to combine them with words. The Integer part of me loves to truly understand why something works as it does. If I truly understand a process, it makes it easier for me to recall the information later. Like the Loner, I enjoy finding information by myself and researching it for class. Like the Friendzy twins, I am interested in the personal lives of my students. When they have been sick, I ask them how they are feeling now.

Melissa, you can operate in a variety of frames of mind and that ability is a great gift for your students.

Michele Deck

I agree that it depends on the course I am teaching. I am both auditory. visual learner . So I tend to find those who learn the way I do are my favorite. My least favorite is the Loner, there is very little participation and I never know if there is any learning going on until the exams are given and then I am surprised to see that the Loner has in fact learned.

Jacqueline, Loner takes his own road to success. If he is passing the course with good grades, he may choose not to interact and that's okay. I never force involvement on a successful learner.

Michele Deck

I am definitely a visual learner, but I am also an Integer. I would want to know why on earth I am thinking about an apple. I also wish someone would have told me that in school.
I typically lecture with lots of pictures but try to do an activity or reinforce the lecture with something else if I can think of one. I also allow for breaks since class runs 2 hrs. I do a lot of interactive questions with the class to get them thinking.
I have noticed that as I am more comfortable with the material, I have an easier time coming up with other ideas to reinforce / teach something in a different learning style.

Alison, you have brought up an important point. One must have a complete knowledge and comfort with the content to feel confident using a different method than lecture.

Michele Deck

My least favorite learner is one that I call "been there, done that". Every class has a student that knows someone or has had every disease and surgery we discuss. They have a tendency to lead the discussion off course. I have found that calling on other students for feedback helps get us back on track...for the moment.

Margaret, it is amazing to teach such "experienced and vocal" learners. I recognize that they are high attention needs people and seek to find ways to give them the attention in a positive way.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment